S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My rear brake won't loosen up - HELP!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:30 PM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My rear brake won't loosen up - HELP!

A while ago, I noticed a smell of well used brakes when I stopped at the store. I soon found out it was from the rear left wheel, as the rim itself was quite hot, and the brakedisc was REALLY hot. So, I thought it was the brakepiston that maybe wasn't moving as free as it should. I then bought some tools to screw the brake piston in, to try to move it loose. It worked well, and I ordered a repairkit for my caliper. Today, it got stuck again, and I took the piston almost all the way out to sand off some rust. I also cleaned and greased the two bolts that the caliper slide on. Well, it didn't fix it this time... The caliper and rim still got hot, but not as bad as earlier. I also noticed that the brake pads were worn in a quite special way. They were worn more in towards the hub, than they were out towards the wheel arch... I don't understand how that's possible. Would it be better to change to some used pads that are evenly worn? Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I need help soon, as I have to use the car when I go home in two days (300 miles trip). What can cause the wheel and disc to get so hot when the piston and "slide bolts" seems to be moving freely?
Any help appreciated! (Sorry for my bad english!)
Old 03-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your e-brake adjustment? Does your wheel turn freely when your e-brake is off?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:29 PM
cmn

The e-brake adjustment was fine... Won't the diff hold the wheel?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tgr_Ree,Mar 8 2008, 05:29 PM
Have you checked your e-brake adjustment? Does your wheel turn freely when your e-brake is off?
I agree. If this is the problem, you should see a discepancy between the left and right sides.

Also, have somebody pump the brakes when you are looking at the mounted caliper on the rotor. Make sure the pads retract evenly. It seems like your inside pad is sticking, as you said in the original post.

Did you bleed the brakes properly? You should make sure there is no air in that line.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 PM

The diff shouldn't hold the wheel.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 PM
cmn

Both pads are worn equally on left rear wheel, but they aren't worn "flat". I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. I'll try to turn the wheel too The guy who did the job today is a mechanic, but I will have to check again tomorrow to be sure everything's right... I could try to change the pads with some other used pads I have, that are worn flat.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that they didn't align the rear pistons properly with the pad. You have to turn the piston to align it with the pin on the inner pad. Also be sure to use brake lube on the pads where they contact the shims. This will ensure it won't be hung up. Replacing those pads would be a very good idea.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 AM
cmn

Well... When I drove home from work this morning, everything was suddenly fine again. Both rear brakediscs and wheels were cold as they should be. So I thought I was good to go again. But when I went to the store a couple of minutes ago, the left rear disc and wheel/rim was suddenly hot again!! I'm going to take the calipper off again, and change the pads. The other pads aren't very good, but they aren completely worn out, and at least they are flat.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by cmn,Mar 8 2008, 08:29 PM
The e-brake adjustment was fine... Won't the diff hold the wheel?
The s2000 does not have locking rear differentials. If the rear e-brake is not engaged, both the left and right rear wheels should turn freely with little resistance. You may want to double check the caliper piston and make sure it is not locking up.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 AM
cmn

I tested, and the wheel is turning fine But I think it may be the piston which isn't moving as free as it should. I guess I'll order a new piston and rebuild the caliper.

Quick Reply: My rear brake won't loosen up - HELP!