S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Poor Diff :(

Old 09-15-2001, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wes, mainly because I don't trust any Honda dealer's service departments. King Motorsports are the only folks to lay a hand on my car...in fact, I have paid King to do things that would be covered by warranty at a dealer. I will be, however, swallowing that bitter pill, and taking the car to one of the more reputable dealers on Tuesday. As I said before, I would rather have Bobo the Clown work on my car than the dealer's service department that I got both my S2000's from.

I just got back from a test drive and I found that after tightening the axles, it vibrates far less, but upon turning, there is still a clunking sound...the same one that I heard when I roll a wheel back and forth...

This is weird, I just hope it can be done before I am supposed to leave on Thursday...
Old 09-15-2001, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

Have you tried to see if there is any back and forth movement in the wheel. ie.. with the car chacked up, sit on the floor and try and pull the tire off (like you are changing the tire, but with the lugs tight). Rotate the tire and check to see if there is any play while pulling/pushing on the tire. Also have you checked to see if you can "wiggle" the tire (push on the top of the tire, while pulling on the bottom, rotate the tire a bit each time you check)

Dale
Old 09-15-2001, 04:21 PM
Banned

Dale, no I haven't tried any of those things. I will tomorrow, though...!

I really feel like this slack or out of spec tolerance is coming from the drive shaft itself. It's weird how there were no noises, clunking or otherwise weird stuff going on with the diff. I would place my hand on the diff while I juggled one wheel and nothing, the only clunking I would feel was coming back to the diff from something up the drive shaft...

I can't imagine this is normal...

Moreover, I have never had any tranny problems. In fact, people who have driven my car say that it has one of the best feeling shifters they have felt...and this is in comparison to their S2000.

This is weird...I'm baffled! (what else is new?!)
Old 09-16-2001, 06:36 AM

I'm still awaiting word from my dealer and AHM to see how they intend to repair or replace my differential. It has been making bad sounds (warbling, buzzing, popping) for the last 10,000 miles or so. Upon inspection the fluid was low and leakage was found spun off the halfshaft on the passenger side. The dealer replaced the fluid and tightened something to stop the leak but the noise continues (of course). I'm hoping for replacement of the entire unit since it took over three weeks just to do the grind TSB (which failed, now it's much worse).

Good luck
Old 07-21-2002, 08:29 AM

Greg, I feel your pain about Honda dealers service depts. I could tell you all sorts of stories.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:25 PM
Banned

Greg, cubg1, post your dealer feedback here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=72694

Thanks!
Blake
Old 07-21-2002, 12:45 PM

Go out and get a Mechanics Steathascope(sp). If you want to pinpont things going bad its a winner. You'll hear grinding and popping in bearings loud and clear!
Old 07-21-2002, 08:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you here the "clunk" when turning or pulling a full "U" turn. Mine clunks when I do a 180. Don't know why(?); but all six of the S2000's (MY '00,'01 & '02) I have tried the U-turn in do the same. I think it's inherent in the diff design.

Utah
Old 07-21-2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
Do you here the "clunk" when turning or pulling a full "U" turn. Mine clunks when I do a 180. Don't know why(?); but all six of the S2000's (MY '00,'01 & '02) I have tried the U-turn in do the same. I think it's inherent in the diff design.

Utah
Utah, I just pulled a 180 today and didn't hear anything at all. I haven't heard my MY2001 make any sounds when making u turns or sharp turns.

Bob
Old 07-22-2002, 06:04 AM

What you are hearing is most likely normal. It's the backlash in the gears. There is supposed to be some play between the ring and pinion gear. Usually .006 to .010. I shoot for .008 when I setup new gears generally.

Quick Reply: My Poor Diff :(