S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Poor Diff :(

Old 09-15-2001, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Poor Diff :(

I tried to tighten the half shafts today. I got a tiny bit of rotation, like about 1/16th of a turn on the driver's side. On the passenger's side, no movement at all. I also put new brake pads on the rear, when I released the parking brake to get the caliper off, I thought I'd try to see if there was anything unusual with the axle. Well, this is where the may be coming in.

I found what seems to me to be a fair amount of play when I would move the breaker bar, that had the 36mm socket on it, up and down - like simulating the rotation of the tire. There was also what I perceived to be too much clunking coming from either the diff or the axles, I couldn't tell. But it sounded like the diff...

There shouldn't be any noise in there, right?

Man, I'm depressed...

But what I want to do is try to replace the diff fluid changed out.

I would appreciate your input...any thoughts, ideas, condolences?

Old 09-15-2001, 12:01 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Greg, w/ the rear end jacked up and the E-Brake off and the trans in gear, rotate one of the rear wheels and make sure the other side rotates the opposite direction. This should be smooth (no Cap'n Crunch w/ Crunch Berries involved) in both directions from both sides (i.e. fwd/back, Left/right). Do it slowly and for a couple full rotations feeling for bumps.
If it is not smooth, impending doom awaits
Old 09-15-2001, 12:20 PM
Banned

Thanks, RT, I'm going to try that now...

Old 09-15-2001, 12:40 PM
SaV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this before and it took a lot of force to move the wheel. After a few rotations it stopped by it self very quickly. Is this something wrong? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2001, 12:45 PM
Banned

OK, i just tried RT's technique...now THIS IS WEIRD!

The tires rotate in opposite directions, which is good. And get this...the diff is perfectly quiet and smooth!

But the noise that I have been hearing only occasionally, but more dramatically and more frequently lately, is generated when I sort of bounce the wheels back and forth in short quick movements and clunking sound is coming from the driveshaft!

I put my hand on it to feel it as it clunks and that's definitely where it's at. I don't see the diff being the cause of it.

Could the shaft be out of balance? Could it be loose?

WTF!??

Old 09-15-2001, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
[B]Could the shaft be out of balance?
Old 09-15-2001, 01:07 PM
Banned

But what is the clunking that I hear when I turn sometimes...only sometimes, it's not consistent. I don't think it's the diff...it exhibited none of the things that RT's method was testing for. The clunking sound that I was able to generate by rotating the wheel back and forth is the same sound that I hear when I am in the car, usually turning...

I also get a pretty severe vibration on WOT acceleration. It is sometimes severe enough to shake the side and rear view mirrors! But it doesn't always happen...sometimes, yes, sometimes no...no apparent rhyme or reason.

I gotta figure this out before the Dragonball Run, or I can't go!

ARRRGH!!!
Old 09-15-2001, 01:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is your diff fluid dirty? (bad)
Are there lots of filings stuck to the drain plug magnet? (bad)
Is the diff fluid level too low? (bad)
I've seen ring and pinion gear teeth badly worn or broken that causes unusual noises and severe vibration on accel and/or decel.
Old 09-15-2001, 01:41 PM
Banned

I had King change the fluid to the Redline fluid about 2-3 months ago. I haven't heard any noise or clunking that is coming from the diff, as I discovered earlier today.

I think I'm just going to take it in to have a dealer look at it...

Old 09-15-2001, 03:19 PM

Is there any reason why you haven't just taken it to the dealership and have them look at it? I'm all for saving money by checking things out on our own, but it just seems like this has ben a for you for a few weeks now.

Quick Reply: My Poor Diff :(