S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is My Oil Pump Pick Up Blocked

Old 10-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My Oil Pump Pick Up Blocked

My Symptoms are:

1. Car revs and dies on cold start, never fully stalling
2. P1259 Vtec Bank 1 CEL
2. Every time i clear my CEL i get it back on the following cold start without any revs being applied.
3. Car runs ok when warm
4. Air bubbles form on Dipstick on cold start but dissapear when the engine is warmer.
5. I found silicone engine sealent blocking the mesh grill inside the vtec solenoid housing (so there could be more blocking the oil pump passage way)

Does this all lead towards having low oil pressure causing the vtec problem, probably blocked by silicon blocking the oil pickup?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 AM

only ways you will really know is to

- install a oil pressure gauge
-remove the pan and have a look
Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 AM

thanks.
Any idea what a good make of oil pressure gauge would be.
I think the pan will be the next job.

Do you know where the oil pump feed is? Can you see it easily with the pan off?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Autometer are very good but not the easiest to get hold of in the UK so you maybe better off going for eith SPA, Stack or Racetech, all of which have a motorsport pedigree. If you plan on a bank of several gauges then the Defi setup is very nice.
Stay away from Smiths, complete crap.

Oil pump & feed are underneath the sump/oil pan. Once you remove the pan you will have a clear view of the pickup. Getting to the pump is easy enough but removing and fitting a new one is a pain as the front cover also has to be removed and the oil pump chain does not have a split link making fitting that little bit more difficult.
If worst come to worst and you need a new pump let me know as I have a spare low mileage one I'm willing to sell.
If you are removing the sump then you maybe as well taking a look at you oil jet bolts and seeing if they are the older 2 hole design or the newer 4 hole. If they are indeed the older design I would recommend you change them to the newer 4 hole design. They are not cheap at 4x£25 each for the bolts but it's a worth while preventative measure.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks so much for the info.

The engine is an 07 retrofitted to an 00 car so the oil bolts should be the new ones.

When the garage changed the cam pulser, they took off the front cover and used black silicone to seal it back up. I have found this silicone inside the vtec solenoid, and i'm guessing this is what is causing a blockage elsewhere... bloody monkies!!

All of your info will really help.

I'll get a oil pressure gauge first and then go about removing the sump. Do you think i should just take the engine out? Maybe it will make everything easier in the long run?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:55 PM

I just bought some oil pressure and temp gauges for my car.. (prosport with the SOS gauge pod) and it's a good piece of kit to have!! lets you compare both the temp/viscosity of the oil along with it's resulting pressure...

Get the guages first, then if it's really high then would go about checking the oil pump etc... quite strange to have air bubbles on the dipstick... is the level of oil correct?? As air in oil means it doesn't lubricate as well!! If you're gonna take off the sump i'm pretty sure that you can keep the engine in the car... it's not that bad to work on...
Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

nicholasbartleet Posted on Oct 18 2009, 10:48 PM
The engine is an 07 retrofitted to an 00 car so the oil bolts should be the new ones.
Do EUDM 07 engines have the DBW throttle?
IOW: is the engine wire harness compatible with a MY00 ECU?
Or are you using the MY07 ECU as well?

The cam pulsers are on the back of the valve cover and it needs no silicone sealant > it has an o-ring.

If you think there is sealant in the sump I would remove the sump and have a camera ready.
Go back to the dealer with the pics.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 AM

I would pull the sump off sooner rather than later. If you are having oiling issues you could already have done/be doing damage.
Not sure what spec the black silicon you mention is but they should have used Threebond TB1215 or 1217 and removing parts sealed with it can be a pain. Unless you do need to replace the oil pump then I would leave the engine in place and just pull the pan as is not difficult and you shouldn't need to remove the timing/oil pump chain cover (and that is a real pain as the flywheel bolt can be very, very difficult to remove).
I personally don't like silicon gasket sealant so I would reseal the sump etc with Hylomar Racing Formula, Mark at Ripon Engineering should be able to supply you some.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Do EUDM 07 engines have the DBW throttle?
IOW: is the engine wire harness compatible with a MY00 ECU?
Or are you using the MY07 ECU as well?

The cam pulsers are on the back of the valve cover and it needs no silicone sealant > it has an o-ring.

If you think there is sealant in the sump I would remove the sump and have a camera ready.
Go back to the dealer with the pics.
Thanks,
Its got the 00 intake manifold.
It is tha crank pulser that was replaces as well as the cam pulsers. The crank pulser requires the front plate to be removed
This wasn't done at a dealer and the garage who did it are becoming less helpful/friendly so i will go elsewhere or do it myself i think.

[QUOTE]
Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 PM

Yes a blockage could cause low oil pressure.

The pick-up does not have a filter per-say but does have a strainer which would only stop large pieces of debris from getting picked up into the pump.

here are a couple of picture of the pick-up

Quick Reply: Is My Oil Pump Pick Up Blocked