S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My oil analysis

Old 09-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default My oil analysis

Thoughts, opinions...I have no clue

My oil analysis-othq4.jpg
Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here are some good basics http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Seems like good oil that could go to the OEM spec 7.5k mi OCI, but low moly and high iron indicate wear on the higher than average side to me. High aluminum and iron could be anomaly or characteristic of not quite enough protection with the oil you used, as viscosity is on the low end of the range for that weight. You'll need to get additional UOAs and build trend data and keep track of what brands of oils you're using.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Mobil 1 since the day I bought it...but this is only the 3rd oil change since purchase.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Not a bad report, nothing spectacular but nothing bad either. Copper and lead are decent, so bearings are wearing normal. Iron (cylinders, rings, and cams) and aluminum(pistons) wear numbers aren't too bad, still decent. The viscosity of the oil is heading towards a 20 weight, but still in the low 30 weight area, so it sheared down a bit. The oil has a pretty good additive package in moly, boron, zinc, phosphorous. Like mentioned above it is good ot test the oil over time and track any trends that may be occuring as the engine ages and is driven in different circumstances. I'd probably go with an oil that holds it's viscosity a bit better and doesn't shear down as much as that oil did, but it isn't a big deal overall.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Mobil 1 since the day I bought it...but this is only the 3rd oil change since purchase.
What year is the car and how long have you had it? If you don't put on the average miles per year or if your car's oil minder doesn't click down to 0% in a year, you should be doing an annual oil change anyway. Oil degrades with calendar time as well as operational time.
As far as the actual numbers go, these don't mean much for the typical car owner. I can't really read much of those printouts due to the resolution, but all you need to know is what the lab's comments are and how the numbers compare to the stated "average" or "normal" numbers. If there was anything alarming, the comments would indicate that.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Looking at the low moly, I'd pay for the TBN next UOA and maybe consider changing from Mobil1.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobil 1 what? 0W-20?

This looks like a pretty typical engine wear pattern for the F22C1 after 5K miles of service. Follow on UOA's will allow you to spot any unusual increase in wear metals. If you plan to continue using this oil formula, it would be helpful to get a clean sample tested to see if they are using additives that might contribute to wear metal readings. Also, it will show what metallic additves are organic to the formula, especially Na and K. ICP readings of these elements is how Blackstone determines coolant ingress. Coolant detroys the engine oil, which in turn detroys your engine. Based on the flashpoint reading, I'd say that fuel dilution is not an issue. If this was a 30wt engine oil, then it sheared out of grade and needed changed.

Thanks for posting this UOA (even though it's hard to read!).
Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they not give you a PDF?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

OP should check out BITOG and see if he can find a VOA for the same oil (this is adequate to sending in your own VOA isnt it?) and other UOAs to compare against just to get an idea.

Edit: It would be great to have a gallery or pinned thread to catalog all the UOAs from this site.

Quick Reply: My oil analysis