S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My longstanding CEL problem has finally been diagnosed

Old 02-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My longstanding CEL problem has finally been diagnosed

hardtopguy called me today to let me know his tech had found the source of my CEL problem, which has been bugging me for over 6 months and has defied the capabilities of three Honda dealers here in Baltimore.

Evidently there is some fault in the electronics that results in low voltage to the injector circuitry, causing a sporadic lean condition that triggers the 300, 301, 302, 303, and 304 CEL. The Ganley tech is now trying to isolate the source of the fault in the circuitry. I'm going to pore over the Helm manual tonight to see if I can understand this.

BTW, Ganley found this fault almost immediately after its first tests. This is proof that the right tech with the right equipment can diagnose a problem most dealers find intractable.

Three cheers for Ganley Honda!!!!

I just wish they weren't so far away.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just have to drive faster!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:54 PM

to celebrate ... free gear from Rick's Signature Accessories!!! yyyyaaayyy!!!

in a perfect world, every town should have their own ganley.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick:

What circuit is that in? I would be delighted to look at the schematic. A low-voltage is almost always one of two things: 1)) A reduction in input voltage, or 2) increased resistance causing an in-value voltage to be dissipated as heat.

I have seen defective or aging sensors go spotty, and I have seen cars that were flooded by salt or brackish water start to cause the wiring to corrode, underneath the insulation! Or, the salt was pervasive enough that even weather-pack type connectors in critical areas started to corrode. You might check each connector - sometimes just unplugging and re-connecting will "break" an oxide layer.

Even cars near the ocean or in areas of high airborne contaminants can have this poblems. Anyway, post or PM me some details and I will take a look-see.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Road Rage
Rick:

What circuit is that in? I would be delighted to look at the schematic. A low-voltage is almost always one of two things: 1)) A reduction in input voltage, or 2) increased resistance causing an in-value voltage to be dissipated as heat.

I have seen defective or aging sensors go spotty, and I have seen cars that were flooded by salt or brackish water start to cause the wiring to corrode, underneath the insulation! Or, the salt was pervasive enough that even weather-pack type connectors in critical areas started to corrode. You might check each connector - sometimes just unplugging and re-connecting will "break" an oxide layer.

Even cars near the ocean or in areas of high airborne contaminants can have this poblems. Anyway, post or PM me some details and I will take a look-see.
Thanks for the kind offer. My knowledge of electronics is limited, and the Ganley tech will be tracking down the source. hardtopguy thinks it may be a faulty ECU, so he's replacing mine with a spare to see what happens. In the meantime, I'm going to check the Helm manual and post what I find so you can offer some advice.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

The Helm manual is indicating a possible short or open in the harness between the ECU and fuel injectors or a bad ECU, so if Jeff replaces the ECU, an answer should emerge quickly.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:10 PM

[QUOTE][size=1][b]
Old 02-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2000guy
Old 02-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Update. It appears to be a faulty ECU. Jeff replaced it and no CELs have apppeared through a number of driving cycles. We'll see as further testing goes on.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Excellent, glad you got it sorted, keep us posted...

Quick Reply: My longstanding CEL problem has finally been diagnosed