S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My inner CV joint busted

Old 09-18-2002, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My inner CV joint busted

Well..I was at Honda yesterday getting an alighnment because i had a shutter from the rear and thought it was some bad toe or something. It indeed showed the camber to be way negative and too much toe so they fixed that and took at for a test drive again. The shuttering was still there. Well they ordered a new CV joint and told me it would be in next week and they would call me..till then i would only have the shutter.. Well i never made it out the dealership. I started the car and drove off..and BAMB..and i do mean BAMB as in a riffle or something. Everyone came out of the Acura Dealer and the honda dealer running over to my car. It was the inner CV boot was twisted all up. THey think the Diff is fine becuase i could back the car up but forward..there was an awful metal sound as if two gears were grinding on each other.. I find out later today if they have to order just the Hub or a new axle...that god for extended warranties.. I'll update as soon as i am updated on the situation. Any one else here have this problem? If so..please share because Honda is very interested here if there has been some sort of history. This dealer is awesome and they are all about getting these little "termites as my mom calls these cars" fixed..thanks alot.

Des,
Old 09-21-2002, 02:07 PM

How many miles were on your car?
Old 09-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

What did the car do when you tried to go forward? I have a special interest in this topic.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Former Moderator

I had a similar experience...I broke the splines that hold the driveshaft on the outer CV joint. That was mostly a grinding noise, don't remember a bang.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:55 PM

Yes..it was the spines here too..all is good now. The "tree" thats in the boot has 3 hubs..i cracked that ...i think cause i was moving so fast it sounded like a bang..but it brough everyone outside the dealership..thats how loud it was. but its all fixed now and my car has never driven this smooth..mine could have been always bad. almost feels slower cause there is no shutter at all now.

Des,
Old 09-21-2002, 07:56 PM

Oh..btw..i have 46k on my car.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:13 PM

This is a very common occurence on the S2K, and is a direct result of multiple hard launches...

You only need to worry about this if you do LOTS of hard launches. It took us over over 1000 launches on race tires, usually on concrete, to get this failure. Not something most owners need to be concerned about.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:53 AM

Ok...I know now. I have done a few hard launches in my day..but not that many.... In fact when got my first diff replaced..they changed the axles then..and i have never been to the drag strip since..might have done 2 or 3 hard launches on the street and thats it..but like i was saying...i dont EVER think my car drove this smooth..i think it always shuttered..but i understand you point and would be doing hard launches...Thanks for the advice.

Des,
Old 09-22-2002, 11:35 AM

Just got mine fixed...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=78994
Old 09-22-2002, 02:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2 drive shaft assemblys (per Honda terminology - 1/2 shafts to the rest of us) in my car were replaced a few thousand miles ago to fix a vibration that occurred at around 75 mph. Though I don't baby the car I have done zero (zip, nada, 0) hard launches (a.k.a. "clutch drops) in 35k miles of ownership. Though I don't doubt that Jason is absolutely correct - that hard launches will cause this failure more quickly - I am of the opinion that the problem may occur in cars driven more normally as well.

Quick Reply: My inner CV joint busted