S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My HID Lights BLOW!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2003, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, i know how our HID's are supposed to work from seeing plenty of s2000's at night and my good friend has an S as well, so i can easily compare mine to his (we both have an 02 btw)
i lowered mine a while ago (probably 1.5) and i had this idea that now my lights are WAY off. so i adjusted them several times, and one of the times i had it adjusted to the level of a stock s2k. i thought now my lights are perfect! after another friend w/a stock s2k told me my lights are too bright, i lined my car up w/his, and saw that mine don't match his AT ALL! his were way lower! (pretty odd b/c mine were adjusted to stock height and his is stock height too).
we knew adjusting my lights according to stock height is dumb ANYHOW b/c i'd have to now point my beam up high, inorder to match the height of a beam of a stock s2k. so what we did was adjust my lights to where when you look at them kneeling down, his and mine (both driver and passanger) chanded color at the same time. we took both cars and parked them down the road (right next to eachother) and looked at them, and his were WAY more purple than mine. mine were still white! when his car was driven closer to me... his lights were purple blue... and constantly changing... my color was mainly white (not so blinding as i once had them) and they changed ever so slightly, but they never had such a purple affect as his did!
i know there's a "perfect" way to adjust headlights (but i think i lack those specific tools in my garage) so i was wondering if maybe not every HID light on our car is the same and if once you lower a car, do we lose that hot purple affect that our lights once gave off at stock height b/c the angle of the beam is now tilted up instead of pointing straight ahead like a stock s2k beam??
sorry for the long story, just being specific!
Old 01-09-2003, 11:19 PM

If you have lowered your car, the beam should be lower compare to stock. By matching the beam height to stock what you are doing is increasing the angle of the light (aiming the beam higher).
There for, from on coming car's view point your lights are aimed to high. I hope this make sense to you...
Old 01-09-2003, 11:33 PM

yeah it makes sense, therefore i told you that i aimed them so they aren't as high as they once were! however, my main question is... HOW DO I REGAIN THAT PURPLE AFFECT????????
if i point mine lower than his... they wont go so purple b/c now they'll be too low... so unless you're riding a tricycle, you won't really get to see the purple in my lights!
it sounds silly that i care so much about what others get to see... however, when you see my lights at night, no way in hell are you gonna guess it's an S2000... perhaps an audi TT though!
Old 01-10-2003, 02:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can find it, there is a very detailed post about why some hid's are purple and some are not so.

Basically all of them will not have the same changeover colors. Im a printer and deal with very specific color so my idea of color change is probably anal to most people.

I adjust mine so they are about an inch below the horizon. Look at your windsheild
and see where the horizon is (flat road of course) you should be able to tell where
the lights hit. Mine are just high enough so it barely flashes the bottom of most signs
on the right.

BTW the poster . . . goes on to explain that if one goes out and you replace it, they will most likley be slightly different colors (the split, NOT the white)
Old 01-10-2003, 04:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TommyAmrani
[B]yeah it makes sense, therefore i told you that i aimed them so they aren't as high as they once were!
Old 01-10-2003, 05:05 AM

Go buy some Ultinon bulbs... 6000k, much more blue.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Line up both cars to point towards a wall at the same distance away. Note where the stock cars lights hit the wall...adjust yours so that same line is 1.5" lower on the wall. This will be a correct adjustment...anything higher will start to blind traffic. You're looking for similar angles here...
Old 01-10-2003, 05:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here it is the best post on explaning HIDs

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...rge%20forumid22
Old 01-10-2003, 07:03 AM

hey thanks a lot for all the help guys!
my friend and i both have 02's (purchased w/in less than a month away from eachother) and we even have the same miles on our cars... and his lights are FAR from losing their purple color from what we both saw!
if i aim my lights about 1.5 inches LOWER than stock... i should regain the correct angle, however looking at it from oncoming traffic point of view, it'll be hard to notice the purple color in my lights right, b/c like i mentioned above, you'd have to be pretty low to notice the color change?
am i right or no?
so in all... to get that purple affect back, i'd pretty much have to raise the car back up to stock height?
Old 01-10-2003, 07:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want my personal opinion? You guys are to anal about this. As long as the lights do their job (illuminate the road). I could care 2 cents what color they are. I don't think I've ever had a person come up to me and say. Damn, that purplish tint on your HIDs is insane, that must be the best feature of owning an S2000.

Quick Reply: My HID Lights BLOW!!!!!!!