S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My fuel gauge seems to be defective.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My fuel gauge seems to be defective.

There seems to be a problem with the gas and oil temp gauges. I picked up a used S2K recently. It seems I ran out of gas while my gauge still had 4 bars left. It just stopped accelerating, then when I shut it off it and tried to restart it, it sputtered a bit and quit. I've never ran out of gas before in any car, but it acted just like my lawnmower does when I run out. So I filled it back up and voila! it works perfectly. The gas gauge now reads full, but I don't know if 4 bars now means empty?

To make matters more interesting, my oil temp gauge doesn't seem to move either. For 30 straight mins of driving, it never moved off of one bar, and that was in 60F weather. The previous owner left the AEM EMS running the car. I don't have the stock ECU. Could that have anything at all to do with it? Unfortunately, I've never dealt with EMS. I called him and he said he never had a gas gauge problem, but for all I know he might be lying. The car seems to work just fine though, other than the fact that I have no idea if my gauge is working properly. Right now, I'm just gonna reset the trip odo and then fill it up before I hit 200miles, but I'd really like for the guage to work.

Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had/still have the false reading, just like you, 4 bars (+red bar). First, as gas level falls, it read fine, down to almost E, and if you restart the car, it'll show 4 bars, and stay there for a while, then show proper level when you're almost out. But it won't show proper level always, and it did cause me to run out of gas once. It did it with:
1. stock ecu after installing the walbro fuel pump.
2. Emanage.
3. Now EMS (AEM).

It's caused by a pickup sock inside your fuel tank. It's interfering with free travel of the fuel level float, and causes it to hang up on it.

I say don't worry about it, it's no more than a nuisance.

Now, oil temp gauge? Like aftermarket? Or water temp gauge in the main gauge cluster?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:59 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by Kirpich,Oct 27 2009, 10:25 PM
I had/still have the false reading, just like you, 4 bars (+red bar). First, as gas level falls, it read fine, down to almost E, and if you restart the car, it'll show 4 bars, and stay there for a while, then show proper level when you're almost out. But it won't show proper level always, and it did cause me to run out of gas once. It did it with:
1. stock ecu after installing the walbro fuel pump.
2. Emanage.
3. Now EMS (AEM).

It's caused by a pickup sock inside your fuel tank. It's interfering with free travel of the fuel level float, and causes it to hang up on it.

I say don't worry about it, it's no more than a nuisance.

Now, oil temp gauge? Like aftermarket? Or water temp gauge in the main gauge cluster?
I appreciate the response. Your situation with the fuel gauge sounds exactly like mine. Did you do anything to fix it, or do you just make sure you frequently fill up?

As for the temp gauge, I'm talking about the gauge in the main cluster. Another guy with AEM EMS says that there's some sort of bypass that you need to do to get the EMS to control the gauge if you don't have aftermarket gauges hooked up?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Was teh car FI before? If so it prob has a walbro fuel pump and it needs to be turned slightly as it is hanging up.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:10 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by Gigdy,Oct 28 2009, 08:04 AM
Was teh car FI before? If so it prob has a walbro fuel pump and it needs to be turned slightly as it is hanging up.
Yeah, the previous owner had the Vortech supercharger. I never even thought about the fact that he had to have changed the fuel pump. So what needs to be done to fix it do you think?