S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Engine is still making this noise: MP3

Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sgtb,
we had a builder come to work on morning when i was younger who hat taken most the skin off his arms from coolant and i'm pretty damn careful with radiator caps.
I only removed it when it had plenty of time to cool down and the pipes were only warm to the touch.

I did bypass the whole iac and tb unit using a fresh piece of pipe as suggested. I didn't block any ports, but this problem started before i did any of this.

I have checked and replaced the IAC valve several times now and i am convinced the problem isn't here. The engine rpm changes as it should when it is unplugged. The hunting sound you get when the iac is unplugged and you dab the throttle is quite different to this hunting sound too.

There is definitely a problem with the cooling system. The fans are definitely not kicking in and the bottom pipe is staying pretty cool to touch.

I left the radiator cap off to see if i was getting bubbles as suggested elsewhere on the forum. No Bubbles, but the coolant just kept creeping up and pouring over the edge of the neck.

Could a broken thermostat cause cold start idling issues?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the TPS voltage today. It was 0.15 Closed
I adjusted it to bang on 0.300V Closed and 4.5v Fully open. Still didn't fix the problem anyway.

I have been trying to bleed the system, but i keep getting frothy, bubbly liquid from the bleed nipple. The fans have not come on once, even with the car sitting for 20 mins +.

I have ordered a new thermostat, fan switch, coolant etc and will flush the system and replace these parts. Hopefully there isn't a water pump problem!

I'm still interested on wether anyone has views on wether air in the cooling system and a broken stat/fan switch could be the culprit for the cold start idling issues i have been having.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.
Nick