S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Engine is still making this noise: MP3

Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou so much for the advice.

Now you say that, i have to day, since this problem started, the air pump comes one and stays on for much longer than normal. It also whirls away whenever the throttle is dabbed until the car is really well and truly warmed up.

Along with the noises you can hear in the MP3, the air pump goes crazy, coming on and cutting out, coming on and cutting out.

It did occur to me that slows2k mentioned (when i was doing my engine transplant 2007 engine in a 2000 car) that he had said the cylinder head didn't have the holes machined on the 07 for the secondary air pump, but since everyone said i would get a CEL and i didn't, i just assumed that the UK cars did have the holes in the cylinder head necessary for the air pump. (i couldn't check because the inlet manifold was already mounted and plumed in by then).
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM

Yeah, that just gives me more reason to think there is a problem with the air pump or whatever sensor the car uses to determine if the pump is needed. As you say, after driving it for a while and re-starting the car, this issue does not occur. I expect that the pump isn't needing to turn on because the inside of the engine is still warm enough.

In all your research have you hit upon which sensor the car uses to determine if extra air is needed to be pumped into the engine? (This is for my own edification.)
Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholasbartleet,Jun 10 2009, 12:53 PM
<snip>
It did occur to me that slows2k mentioned (when i was doing my engine transplant 2007 engine in a 2000 car) that he had said the cylinder head didn't have the holes machined on the 07 for the secondary air pump, but since everyone said i would get a CEL and i didn't, i just assumed that the UK cars did have the holes in the cylinder head necessary for the air pump. (i couldn't check because the inlet manifold was already mounted and plumed in by then).
Yeah that is going to be the issue.

You pump is injecting air into the intake manifold, but it is running full out. Only when the car is warm does it not run.

The head does not have the ports machined on the exhaust side. the AP1/2 has a cover on them, that was just above the exhaust manifold (header) on the head. the exhaust then collected and was passed to the port in the intake side of the motor.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Yeah that is going to be the issue.

You pump is injecting air into the intake manifold, but it is running full out. Only when the car is warm does it not run.

The head does not have the ports machined on the exhaust side. the AP1/2 has a cover on them, that was just above the exhaust manifold (header) on the head. the exhaust then collected and was passed to the port in the intake side of the motor.
Really. And this cover is found on AP1's, bolted to the exhaust side of the head above the manifold.

Does it make sense that i have never had a CEL from this, and the engine did run pretty damn smoothly for at least a month before this problem developed?

I was convinced that becuase the UK cars didn't have the F22, there was no need to change the head and i was hoping it hadn't changed like it had to in the US.

Yeah, that just gives me more reason to think there is a problem with the air pump or whatever sensor the car uses to determine if the pump is needed. As you say, after driving it for a while and re-starting the car, this issue does not occur. I expect that the pump isn't needing to turn on because the inside of the engine is still warm enough.

In all your research have you hit upon which sensor the car uses to determine if extra air is needed to be pumped into the engine? (This is for my own edificat

Thyanks for bringing this up Bposley. I'm not sure what this sensor is called or where exactly it is i'm afraid.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Is this the answer to all my problems?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=700820&st=0

Does it mean i can remove the air pump and forget all about it?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Got a picture of you current head and your old one?

Yes, that will allow you to delete the Airpump.

As for the CEL. You have a pump, it is working. So I would not expect you to have a CEL until you remove it.

for giggles, disconnect it and see if your problem goes away and you get a CEL.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks Stratocaster.

I sold my old head on ebay with all the other bits to a german tuning company for
Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM

What pipes?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Oh, and if you have an Air pump, your head is as I described. That is a simple fact.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 AM

The air pipe from the air pump to the inlet manifold.

I know your right about my old engine having what you described... i just meant i would have liked to have compared it with what i have now to see the difference.

So just to get this right, you think the air is going in, but not coming out and doing what it is supposed to do... hence causing chaos to the ECU... causing the engine to click violently from lean to rich (automatic choke) and to hunt.

Quick Reply: My Engine is still making this noise: MP3