S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Engine Blew - Honda doesn't care!

Old 06-25-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That tactic works well. Basically, if you can continue to move up the chain of command until you get to a person who is so important that you're wasting their time, you can usually get results. The hard part with Honda is that you usually can't jump from one person to their boss to their boss, etc. I think the DSMs tend to take the attitude that they have the final word and won't forward you up to corporate.

gene's idea is worth a shot as a last resort, but I would continue working with the dealer, insist on seeing the timing chain, etc.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by s2ka
Bummer on the engine, you are probably not going to get much sympathy here on the forum, and even if you do get sympathy it won't help your situation. Your best bet is to go back to the dealer, talk calmly and nicely to the service manager, giving the honest facts as you know them. If he/she can't satisfy you, ask for the name and phone number of the regional sales manager. Since you are still in the warranty period you are in a much stronger position than if you were out of warranty. If you are young, you might have more success bringing someone older with you who has experience with cars (mechanic, parent etc.).

Good luck with it.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:24 PM

Spoke to the Service Manager - he wants to get my car fixed - He gave me the contact info of the District Service Manager - who's the final word and decision maker - he seems like a cool guy and that friend of mine who use to work for Honda (the same guy who first speculated the broken chain) knows him - so we'll see what happens from there!

Either way the District Rep. needs to come check out the car - my car is completely stock and has only 20k miles, well under warranty.

The dealer still can't figure out what exactly went wrong - they keep saying the damage was caused by the over-reving of the engine - now what caused that they really don't know - I explained the situation once again - about how I wasn't shifting and the pop during excelaration! Still nothing about the timing chain - I don't even know which piston is the bad one - Still thinking about the that #4 cylinder Problem and the time I had the mis-fired piston, but not enough evidence to associate the two.

I still have hopes that everything will turn-out alright.......I saw things turning for the worse yesterday when the Honda Customer Care Rep. - told me she's wasn't handling my case - and she needed to pass it to a right rep (which she admitted to not knowing who it was) at that time I got worried - thinking this is never going to be taken care of!!!

But I took a trip to the dealer and got right to it and got the ball rollin again, so we'll see!

*as for that question about the engine reving with the tach - I am almost 100% sure the engine had seized and the rpm's went wild as the car came to a screeching hault - so the thought of the car continuing to speed up and the engine working I don't recall occuring

thanks for the help
Old 06-25-2003, 10:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you may be confusing readers by saying

"RPM's going wild bouncing off the REV-LImiter for a few seconds before totally vanishing".

From your latest post it sounds like you are talking about the bargraph on the instrument panel going nuts rather than the actual engine revving its nuts off against the rev limiter. You say the engine had seized early in the incident which normally means no revolutions and therefore 0 rpm on the tacho.

You should make sure that Honda people understand you are talking about the tachometer going mad. Otherwise, they will say " the owner actually admits having the engine bouncing off the rev limiter".
Old 06-26-2003, 04:34 AM

The first thing you need to do is get out your owners and warranty manuals. If you read the warranty manual you will find out that unlike most car manufactures Honda agrees in advance to submit any disputes to binding arbitration with a neutral. The warranty section includes exactly how to do this including the steps you need to take and the numbers you need to call. Its a simple process and you can't get much fairer for resolving a dispute.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Chriss_Barry is right. RPM is an acronym, short for "revolutions per minute" The Tachometer measures these revolutions, but they are not actually the RPMs.

SenseiRick: your statement, "I am almost 100% sure the engine had seized and the rpm's went wild as the car came to a screeching hault" is extremely confusing and contradictory. The RPMs can't go wild if the engine is siezed. The Tach can go wild, but this is not the RPMs. You need to make sure that you understand this when you go to Honda, otherwise you may be explaining your way into a deep hole.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:17 AM

CHECK THIS OUT: SEE IF THIS HELPS!

there's the Pop - the car starts "breaking" screeching to a hault and the RPM's are bouncing of the rev-limiter - the engine could have still been working but the car wasn't moving it was actually trying to come to a stop......so it's hard for me to say - the engine was pulling, because it wasn't - it almost seemed like I had pulled the hand brake and the engine had locked - not until the car came to a complete dead stop did the RPM's vanish - these were those 4-5 seconds that RPM's were going wild was while the car was trying to come to a stop......... I also had the clutch and the brake depressed - since it was my first reaction after the pop...........

I believe something broke and caused the over-reving of the engine which in turn smashed the spark plugs and caused the car to come a screeching hault.....since it locked all motion in the engine - then after it came to a full-stop I get that big cloud of smoke out of the rear.......

hope that helps
Old 06-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by SenseiRick
CHECK THIS OUT: SEE IF THIS HELPS!
Yes this helps a lot. IMO you've just proven you're at fault. Disceting below.

[QUOTE][B]
there's the Pop - the car starts "breaking" screeching to a hault and the RPM's are bouncing of the rev-limiter.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and to clarify...if the timing chain broke, the cams would not spin. Without the cams spinning, the cam position sensor would never get another signal, therefore the tach would show 0 rpms.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Oh, and to clarify...if the timing chain broke, the cams would not spin.

Quick Reply: My Engine Blew - Honda doesn't care!