S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Engine Blew - Honda doesn't care!

Old 06-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, you're incorrect about overrevving causing an immediate problem. If you read the other posts, you would know that it can happen over time if it causing just minor valve damage.

Again, you said you were playing with the Prelude, so I'm still suspicious as well, since you admit you were running it hard.

Also, they claim there was damage on all the plugs, so I doubt it was the #4 cylinder problem. Of course I could be wrong, I just don't remember anyone having damage through out the entire block.

Also I've never heard of someone bending the rods because of a broken timing chain. Usually that causes valve damage. Again, I could be wrong, just bringing up points that could be clarified.

You should call them and ask them to see if the ECU saved the max RPM's since the check engine light came on. Did they actually open the engine up? If they did, go up there and take pictures and post them. That will certainly help diagnose the cause.

Blake
Old 06-23-2003, 03:53 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SenseiRick
[B]I was going about 60-65 in 4th and there was a pop......

If I had shifted into 2nd instead of 4th the reaction would have been immediate.......

this all happened 4-5 seconds after I dropped fourth and was accelerating.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought as long as you were within warranty they would replace it... as long as you don't say you were racing or anything driver induced...?
Old 06-23-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by beanolo
i thought as long as you were within warranty they would replace it... as long as you don't say you were racing or anything driver induced...?
Well, that's kind of the point -- the assertion being made by the dealer and many of the people on this board was that it was driver-induced (i.e. a mis-shift).

Steve
Old 06-23-2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by jeffbrig

More likely, you really were in 2nd, but your clutch was slipping, and it grabbed right when you heard the pop.
This is what I figure happened as well... But, He did say that for "4-5 seconds after I dropped fourth" that he was "accelerating". Four or Five seconds can be an eternity when you have the gas pedal to the floor and the car is not accelerating because the clutch is slipping.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was gonna mention the clutch slip too, but 4-5 secs seemed to long.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Banned

And people's recollection of time in events such as this are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate.

Blake
Old 06-23-2003, 11:12 PM

I know I get 60mph in 2nd gear...and i shift around 8800 rpms...so I think if he downshifted into 2nd, he would feel it first of all. My car buckles down quite a bit when I downshift like say to 3rd gear going 60mph. I can only imagine downshifting into 2nd at 60mph. Regardless of the fact that he would have felt the mis-shift, I don't think downshifting into 2nd going 60 mph would do that kind of damage...not a one time deal, unless he kept trying to accelerate. I'm sorry, he would have felt the mis-shift and let off almost instantly. Then again, I could be completely wrong. I've only had my s2000 since january...and i'm definitely no mechanic, but from judging from my experience so far...i don't see how he mis-shifted into 2nd without knowing.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:01 AM

Hey man,
I hate to hear that about your S2000. My suggestion would be to call the General Manager at the dealership and tell him your story. I've done this once in the past over a nasty paint defect on a Ford product. I hate going to the manager but service changed their tune within an hour. A General Manager will have service kissing much ass. Next go to another dealer or an attorney.
-Stephen
Old 06-24-2003, 02:51 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm getting a very different picture of what happened than what I've read so far. If something goes "pop", and then you're bouncing off the rev limiter, then something in your drive system broke loose. Maybe some shaft, U-joint, clutch, whatever. If it happened in the engine, causing it to lock up, I'd guess you broke your crankshaft. But I find that hard to believe. Right now, there is a lot of speculation, but nobody really knows what acutally happened.

Did your clutch still function properly after the incident? Then the problem is before the clutch. If the engine is locked up, then I'm assuming that the dealer is telling you that they won't give you Carte Blanche on the repair bill - If they tear the engine apart and find it to be abuse, then you'll have to pay for it. I doubt that they will deny repairs without knowing what actually happened.

It's hard to diagnose the problem because you (SenseiRick) are using chopped-up grammar that is hard to understand, and your train of thought is hard to follow. Also, your first description of what happened is quite different from your latter posts. I'm not trying to flame you, I'm just trying to explain why it is difficult for all of us to help you diagnose the problem. Several people state that your story is fishy, and I suspect it is only because your description of the sequence of events is hard to follow.

Edit: The rods are bent, but that's not what started the sequence of events. You need to find out what caused the engine to disengage from the drivetrain. If you were bouncing off the rev limiter for 4 seconds, then you did not immediately let off the gas. Four seconds is an eternity with the car at or around redline.

Quick Reply: My Engine Blew - Honda doesn't care!