S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Engine Blew - Honda doesn't care!

Old 06-22-2003, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the entire story: Driving home last night on the way back thru the Pulaski Skyway towards 1&9 South (to Newark) Engine check light blinks twice - 2 miles ahead it blinks and stays on for 5 seconds - a few minutes later I hear a sound in my engine (like a can bouncing inside a pot) then I am at aprox: 4krpm's in 4th and boooommmmmmm......my RPM's start lightin back and forth across the tach and my entire tach goes black, I lose all the bars on the Rpm's and a big cloud of gray smoke flies out of my rear.......all this while my car comes to an abrupt stop in the middle of the highway.....

battery works - lights works - but the engine won't start - and all the Rpm's bars are gone - all the engine lights are on too...

so what happened? What went wrong?

I get the car towed to the dealer then open up the engine they said I bent rods and smashed 2-plugs - YOU NEED A NEW ENGINE! Since it's an S2000 it could have only happened from over-revving the engine, call the customer service to file a complain, warranty doesn't cover that - I SAY WHAT? I Didn't do Anything! 20k miles and the car is 1.5yrs old - Something happened in the engine and made this happen, that's it

I find out Honda doesn't have computer that traces back the last minutes of your car (like a black box) so now it's my word against Honda - which all I been hearing is - YOU OVER-REVED, SO U BLEW IT --------- this is crazy - I've explain the situation over and over - I wasn't even shifting........

this could have only been caused by a mal-function in the engine!
has anyone ever seen such a scenario?

What am I going to do??
Old 06-22-2003, 09:15 PM

take it to another dealer if you can, some guy's are just pricks and turn it down. There are different reps for areas in warranty issues, make a few phone calls and see if any other stores sound like they will play ball.

I once got an insurance company to cover one after a guy hydro locked it with a cia, but it took some coersion.

Matt
Anyone else?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be your word against Honda but there's a distinction. You have the warranty. They're denying it so it's up to them to prove that you did something to cause the failure. If I were you I would try another dealer because if you can get one to fix it under warranty you're better off. After that talk to an attorney. Assuming they agree with my assessment of the situation see if they'll write a letter to the dealer outlining your position. Letters from attorneys sometimes help tremendously because it means you're not being scared off by their intimidation tactics, especially if they don't really have any proof that you caused the failure. Also, If you can avoid court you're better off. If neither of the above works you may be stuck going to court and letting a judge or jury determine whether Honda has proven you did something to cause the failure.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:41 PM

Talk to a attoney
Old 06-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Banned

Actually, if you have a check engine light then it does record the last max rpm. Also, You said you were playing with a Prelude right beforehand.

Normally I'd side with you, but since you were playing with a car earlier, its most likely you missed a downshift.

Blake
Old 06-22-2003, 10:50 PM

that sucks man... i had a similar problem with my 00 Chevy truck... i called GM and told them the situation... i was nice till somebody was an ass... i then told them id have my attorney contact them and asked for the guys name and all his information... lets just say the problem was solved within the next 20 minutes... they act like hardasses until they see you'll go threw with it till the end... the last thing they want is to have to pay for an attorney... its cheaper to just fix the problem
Old 06-23-2003, 05:50 AM
Former Moderator

Something smells.....

Old 06-23-2003, 06:10 AM

Dude, should of pulled over from the moment you heard that noise. If you did you most likely would of not caused so much damage. Check if low or no oil and call tow truck to bring the car to the dealer at that moment. Thats enough of my preaching.

Sorry to hear the news and I hope you can get this resolved ASAP. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a symptom of scoring of cylinder #4?????? I think maybe.....
Old 06-23-2003, 07:07 AM

last time I took my car in for "check engine light", the tech told me that it has nothing to do with the engine, its all about sensors and emissions.

Quick Reply: My Engine Blew - Honda doesn't care!