S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is my clutch going?

Old 08-27-2002, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nownor
how slow should you be letting the clutch out?
(I'm no expert, but this is how I drive)

Clutch release should be a smooth motion in sync with shifting during 'normal' driving. 'Slow' usually means you will need a new clutch much sooner than later. Consider this paying for lessons when you do have to buy a new one. As a point of reference, I've had seven vehicles and driven over 1,000,000 miles in the past 20 years and have never had a clutch replaced (all were manual). What I mean to say is, you usually should never have to have a clutch replaced if you have good technique.

Everyone drives differently, but there's definitely a wrong way to drive a clutch (like giving it gas before the clutch is all the way engaged). I'm no race car driver, but a Honda clutch (on my past CRX, Del Sol and Nighthawk motorcycle) was either in or out. Anything else was burning it.

Personally, I release the clutch right before it clicks into gear (my foot has let off on the gas but not all the way so as to keep the revs from falling too much). This matches revs and provides a smooth transition. I guess it's really hard to explain in words. Maybe someone else can do a step-by-step on Positive Clutch Engagement and shift technique.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by JohnnyG

(I'm no expert, but this is how I drive)

What I mean to say is, you usually should never have to have a clutch replaced if you have good technique.
That is definitely an overstatement! The clutch will ALWAYS have to be replaced eventually. A clutch is very similar to brake pads, in the sense that the you can't drive the car without inducing wear. Technique definitely plays a role in how long it will last, but the same applies to brake pads. The only way to have brake pads last forever is to never use them. It doesn't matter how good your technique is, you can't get the car going from a stop without slipping the clutch.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]

That is definitely an overstatement!
Old 08-27-2002, 08:53 PM

I got 120,000 clutch miles on my 79 Toy pu and 88,000 on the front brake pads. Raced auto x for 5 years with the same clutch in a heavily modified Fiat. Never wore out a clutch in 100k miles in a full size work truck. 90,000 pad life in my Loyale (auto trans). Its how you drive.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:27 AM
Former Sponsor

I think I have averaged between 50K ~ 70K on the cars that I've had before replacing clutches. Depending on where I lived, and whether I was autocrossing, my brakes lasted anywhere from 10K miles ~ 30K miles.

I don't think I would feel comfortable using the same set of brake pads for more than a couple years, whether they were worn out or not. I would expect that age, climate changes, heat cycles, etc. would ruin pads eventually.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JohnnyG,

1 million miles in 20 years is 50k miles per year. I would assume that you must get in a lot of highway miles. Even with highway miles, you must be using the clutch wisely to get the kind of clutch life you're getting, but I don't think someone who does a lot of stop-and-go city driving can have the same expectations.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:10 AM
Former Sponsor

As far as expectations go, I don't think I'm going to get more than 20K out of the S2000's OEM clutch. It doesn't grab very well for me already, and I've only got 12K miles on it. Of course, I rarely ever get on the highway, and I've been autocrossing the hell out of it.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
JohnnyG,

1 million miles in 20 years is 50k miles per year. I would assume that you must get in a lot of highway miles. Even with highway miles, you must be using the clutch wisely to get the kind of clutch life you're getting, but I don't think someone who does a lot of stop-and-go city driving can have the same expectations.
I did drive an awful lot in my teens and early 20s. More like 40-45K'ish/year average I guess now that I think about it if you want to lower that number a little. Yes, highway for a lot of 'em, depends on what car you are speaking about too. I put 30K on the MR2 in less than a year and I hated doing it but it was my ride. I used several of my cars when I was young for pizza delivery all the time (before Domino's) and one or two all day while on the job. I definitely will not be delivering pizza in the S, the garlic smell would drive the cute babes away...

I'm always thinking about how I shift when I'm driving, to this day. It keeps me engrossed while driving, it's like a game and I like driving a clutch. My dad always told me that if I drove a clutch correctly, I shouldn't ever have to have it worked on and I didn't question it since he works on cars and his brother raced sprint cars when he was younger. I hated the Eagle Talon clutch though, it was the pits.

Agreed, consistent S&G city driving will eat your clutch and front pads up. I lived in Phoenix for 3 years and it was awful on my car at the time because the intense summer heat probably made it worse. No matter where you go in Phoenix, it's stop and go.

Positive clutch engagement, baby!
Old 08-28-2002, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]As far as expectations go, I don't think I'm going to get more than 20K out of the S2000's OEM clutch.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnnyG
[B]

Will someone please explain to me why the clutch life expectancy on the S is so low?

Quick Reply: Is my clutch going?