S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My car won't start, FUEL PUMP not priming

Old 09-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car won't start, FUEL PUMP not priming

I have an inlinePro turbo kit with VAFCII and AEM EMS. The previous owner used the VAFC for tuning at first then upgraded to AEM EMS, setting everything to '0' on the VAFC. So, practically...the VAFC is just sitting there not doing anything, but still connected.

basic engine modification:

walboro 225 lph fuel pump
ecg secondary 02 simulator
siemens 625cc injectors
ngk v-power spark plugs
vafcII (which is no longer installed)

This morning, car started just fine. The car is not yet tuned so I drove the car around very very slowly, never stepping over 4k rpm. I made few stops to get some business done and each time i got back in the car, it started up like a champ. Until...when I walked out of the bank.

I sat down,

1. turned the key to ON position,
2. heard fuel pump pressurizing/priming.
3. VAFC is turned on
3. The car started weak, boggled and shut off.

I took the key out and tried again..., but this second time I don't even hear the fuel pump. I then noticed that my VAFC unit is not turning on either. Because the VAFC is sort of bridged in between the EMS and the car, unplugging the VAFC would cause the car not to start. But this isn't the case here because it's plugged in, but not turning on. to sum it up for this second try,

1. turned the key to ON position
2. did NOT hear the fuel pump pressurizing/priming
3. VAFC remains turned off
4. the car CRANKS, but does NOT START

At this point...my guess was that the problem is loose connection to the VAFC (once VAFC turns on, fuel pump will pressurize). So I did the following:

1. Checked ignition fuses, fuel pump fuse, accessories fuse. the VAFC is running off of the extra accessory slot. All fuses look good.
2. Some wires from the VAFC is soldered on to the EMS wires. One of them is loose so I was a happy camper. The only temporary solution I had in the parking lot, away from home, was to twist and tape. This didn't do the trick. the VAFC refuses to turn on.

Friend comes to help. He uninstalls the VAFC completely and re-wires everything back. The car is now solely dependant on the AEM EMS, not both the EMS and VAFC. still the same result- don't hear anything from the fuel pump. The VAFC is now completely off the car and the car is wired to the EMS. I have not yet tried reflashing the map on the EMS and that's my last resort.

I'd like to check to see if they fuel pump is bad. However, I can't find the hose that I'm supposed to disconnect to see for gas leaks. This is another option that I'm trying to find the how-to.

What confuses me is that the car was running perfectly normal 5 minutes ago...,but why not start now? I have not done anything different nor have I touched anything. All I wanted was to enjoy the nice top down weather, but rather stayed in the parking lot for 5 hours playing around with wires. The car is back in my garage thanks to the local wrecker service.

So all in all...my car has following symptoms:

1. turn key to ON position
2. NO FUEL PUMP ACTION
3. cranks, but does not start
4. all electrical components operate (signals, softtop, dome lights etc.)
5. there are no more loose connections

Any ideas, suggestions, help, lead, reference...anything would be grrrreatly appreciated.

Thanks, Danny
Old 09-17-2007, 05:55 PM

Check the fuel pump power connection inder the car.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(1) Check to make sure the fuse on the fuel pump is not blow.
(2) Go to the back of the trunk and check to see any wires connected to the pump is loose or check to see if the pump got power.
(3) This is the most easy way and it doesn't take but a couple minutes to do.....take off the fuel regulator....have someone in the car and turn on the ignition key and start the car. If there's no fuel coming out then i am 100% that the pump went bad. Just to make sure that it's the pump...while the fuel regulator is off try to spray some starter fuel into the fuel rail while someone starting up the car.....if it start up then it's time for a new pump.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to sound like an ass but you won't hear the fuel pump prime everytime you start the car. If there is already significant pressure you won't even here it prime. Happens to me all the time.
I wish I had more time. I would like to come over and help you out.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by viets2k,Sep 17 2007, 09:09 PM
(1) Check to make sure the fuse on the fuel pump is not blow.
(2) Go to the back of the trunk and check to see any wires connected to the pump is loose or check to see if the pump got power.
(3) This is the most easy way and it doesn't take but a couple minutes to do.....take off the fuel regulator....have someone in the car and turn on the ignition key and start the car. If there's no fuel coming out then i am 100% that the pump went bad. Just to make sure that it's the pump...while the fuel regulator is off try to spray some starter fuel into the fuel rail while someone starting up the car.....if it start up then it's time for a new pump.
fuse is not blown. i'm going to check the voltage on the pump plug whenever i get free time.

fuel pump primes every time i turn the key to the ON position. it does it for me every time because i always wait 2-3 seconds until it finishes pressurizing before i start the car. this is something unusual for me, at least.

you should swing by some time chefj...todd just told me about your megan exhaust. i need to check that out