S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My car got REJECTED from emission testing

Old 10-09-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ll1l2l1l2lll
I'm having this exact same issue with 700+ miles driven on my 2001 - AP1. 2AIR - Secondary Air is not ready.

I've driven the car in all types of conditions - through traffic, freeway cruising, cold start, warm start, wide open throttle, 10+ second deceleration etc. I've even tried starting it cold, leaving it on for 5 minutes, and shutting it off throughout the day so it gets as many 'cold' starts as possible - I've done this over 10 times. Weather is approx 70-80F during the day, 60-65F at night.

My OBDII reader is plugged in and I'm still having 2AIR - Not Ready. My tags are now long expired (but registration paid) and it's frustrating to not pass smog for something so silly. If or when I get pulled over, my only excuse is, "I apologize officer, I need to continue to drive the car in order for me to get my tags."

I'm not throwing any CEL and I hear the air pump turn on and click off every cold start so I definitely know it's working.

Any parts/sensors I may need to replace? Anything else I can try to have Secondary Air finally register? I think 700+ miles would be enough with all the types of driving conditions to complete all the 'trips'.

I appreciate everyone's help!!
hi
did you have any luck?
i am having the same problem now. secondary air readiness won't set and no CEL .
body shop disconnected the battery back in april but haven't put too many miles on it but more than 20 cold starts .runs great but tried to smog it the other day . can hear the pump come on and have even did the cold start idle 5 min street drive then freeway cruise at 55-60 mph with roll to a stop . all other readiness codes have cleared
Any help will be appreciated
thanks
Old 10-12-2016, 11:34 AM

The SMOG guy just failed me because I didn't have my CARB number for my headers. Can someone send me the number - looks like the guys doesn't care as long as he can enter it in his computer and shows up for my S2000 (2002. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

drive for a week for at least 200 miles to be safe. Same thing happen to my brother in his s2000. His battery was dead and he got a new battery and went to get smogged and his ecu showed it was not ready. He drove it for a few days for about 100 miles and went back and it was still not ready. He drove it again for a few more days for about another 100 miles and went back and the car finally pass with out any issues.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:41 PM

The secondary air still won't set and no codes.I have done cold starts the last few weeks. I have put power to the air pump and it blows good.taken the air control valve off and used a mityvac and the valve opens started the car cold and checked the vacuum to the valve. Vacuum is good and pulled the air pump hose off the valve and started it up and blows good. Replaced the o2 sensors in case they were out of spec (computer knows when the air pump is working by the drop in the o2 voltage) and still get secondary air error on my scanner but still no code
Everyone says to drive it more but the shop manual says start up cold below 95° with the sensors near same temp( mine are exactly same temp when cold) and should complete
So getting nowhere fast!
Old 10-04-2017, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by davi326
The secondary air still won't set and no codes.I have done cold starts the last few weeks. I have put power to the air pump and it blows good.taken the air control valve off and used a mityvac and the valve opens started the car cold and checked the vacuum to the valve. Vacuum is good and pulled the air pump hose off the valve and started it up and blows good. Replaced the o2 sensors in case they were out of spec (computer knows when the air pump is working by the drop in the o2 voltage) and still get secondary air error on my scanner but still no code
Everyone says to drive it more but the shop manual says start up cold below 95° with the sensors near same temp( mine are exactly same temp when cold) and should complete
So getting nowhere fast!
You guys figure it out yet? Car has been sitting literally because I can't figure this out. Put at least 1k miles on it and secondary air still isn't ready. Help!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

This thead is a year old, and the original post is from 2011, so yeah, I expect the other posters have resolved things.

Billman has posted the process to quickly amd easily clear the readiness monitors. Search for it.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

I was having trouble a few months ago (put on about 300 miles). Ended up unlocking Flashpro from my ECU. Drove for 15 minutes and things were set. Try that
Old 08-20-2023, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250
There is no mileage quota for any car ever made to make the ECU "ready" (meaning complete all monotors).

It goes by parameters, and them being met. Can happen in 3 miles, or over 200.

In some cars, conditions are picky and they will take over 150 miles to make ready. Basically, you are meeting the enable criteria on accident if you are not following the exact enable criteria, for that car, for EACH parameter (or monitor).

Lucky for us, the s2k monitors complete very fast, I have done it in 6 miles.

Fastest way:

Start the car cold in the morning, drive around local 5 minutes, shut it off (this will complete a "trip").

Start it back up, take it on the highway and set the cruise at 60 for 3 minutes (this will complete a second "trip", and make two-trip monitors "ready" like the air pump monitor).

Example: if you start the car cold, and drive it 10,000 miles without shutting it off, the two-trip monitors will never run and you will fail inspection It's all about parameters...not miles.
reviving this thread – it absolutely worked, and i passed smog yesterday. (2nd try)
thank you for the hack drive cycle @Billman250

(as opposed to the official way found in owner's manual: pdf link)
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (08-20-2023)