S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My car got REJECTED from emission testing

Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cbayman
Originally Posted by SgtB' timestamp='1314727226' post='20927912
Most obd2 testers will tell you the status of your readiness codes.
The CEL will also indicate the status of the ready codes. Turn ON the ignition to position II (don't start) and watch the light. If the codes are set it will go out in 10 or so secs. If the codes need to be reset the CEL will flash before going out.
Coll. Didn't know that.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zpeed
Originally Posted by cbayman' timestamp='1314752121' post='20929334
[quote name='SgtB' timestamp='1314727226' post='20927912']
Most obd2 testers will tell you the status of your readiness codes.
The CEL will also indicate the status of the ready codes. Turn ON the ignition to position II (don't start) and watch the light. If the codes are set it will go out in 10 or so secs. If the codes need to be reset the CEL will flash before going out.
Aha thanks guys. I'll Smog it tomorrow.
[/quote]Any updates as to what you did to get your car ready for testing? My car was sitting idle for 3 years. I now have it drivable again, but it failed because of the ECU not being ready.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

There is no mileage quota for any car ever made to make the ECU "ready" (meaning complete all monotors).

It goes by parameters, and them being met. Can happen in 3 miles, or over 200.

In some cars, conditions are picky and they will take over 150 miles to make ready. Basically, you are meeting the enable criteria on accident if you are not following the exact enable criteria, for that car, for EACH parameter (or monitor).

Lucky for us, the s2k monitors complete very fast, I have done it in 6 miles.

Fastest way:

Start the car cold in the morning, drive around local 5 minutes, shut it off (this will complete a "trip").

Start it back up, take it on the highway and set the cruise at 60 for 3 minutes (this will complete a second "trip", and make two-trip monitors "ready" like the air pump monitor).

Example: if you start the car cold, and drive it 10,000 miles without shutting it off, the two-trip monitors will never run and you will fail inspection It's all about parameters...not miles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Billman250:
623baller (12-26-2020), imkaiko (08-20-2023), WilloW (01-27-2021)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Wow, having to smog sucks. I had no clue you had to do all that. I just have to take mine once a year and verify that the blinkers and horn work.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 AM

Hi Billman250
You mentioned that in the 2nd drive cycle, you set the cruise to 60 and drove for 3 minutes at that speed.
I was wondering, does it require the cruise control to be set at 60 or can you do your best to keep it at 60 without having to use cruise control to set that 2nd drive cycle.
I was in an accident a couple of years ago and it damaged the air pump in the front on the driver side. The shop tried to fix it by jb welding the nipple and part of the housing together but there was still hidden cracks that would cause the CEL to turn on because of that. I recently changed it out (last month) and cleared the codes. That air pump is also part of the EVAP system? All my systems are ready EXCEPT for my evap system and I've been driving for 2 weeks already trying to set it..
Old 08-07-2012, 09:19 PM

any help?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just drive awhile on the freeway for awhile, and then shut her off. Drive around town for awhile and then shut her off. Then drive to get car checked. That's what I did and I passed after I failed first.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
There is no mileage quota for any car ever made to make the ECU "ready" (meaning complete all monotors).

It goes by parameters, and them being met. Can happen in 3 miles, or over 200.

In some cars, conditions are picky and they will take over 150 miles to make ready. Basically, you are meeting the enable criteria on accident if you are not following the exact enable criteria, for that car, for EACH parameter (or monitor).

Lucky for us, the s2k monitors complete very fast, I have done it in 6 miles.

Fastest way:

Start the car cold in the morning, drive around local 5 minutes, shut it off (this will complete a "trip").

Start it back up, take it on the highway and set the cruise at 60 for 3 minutes (this will complete a second "trip", and make two-trip monitors "ready" like the air pump monitor).

Example: if you start the car cold, and drive it 10,000 miles without shutting it off, the two-trip monitors will never run and you will fail inspection It's all about parameters...not miles.
I'd think you'd have to use one of these to drive the car 10,000 miles without shutting it off!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:27 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by bryantiscool
Hi Billman250
You mentioned that in the 2nd drive cycle, you set the cruise to 60 and drove for 3 minutes at that speed.
I was wondering, does it require the cruise control to be set at 60 or can you do your best to keep it at 60 without having to use cruise control to set that 2nd drive cycle.
I was in an accident a couple of years ago and it damaged the air pump in the front on the driver side. The shop tried to fix it by jb welding the nipple and part of the housing together but there was still hidden cracks that would cause the CEL to turn on because of that. I recently changed it out (last month) and cleared the codes. That air pump is also part of the EVAP system? All my systems are ready EXCEPT for my evap system and I've been driving for 2 weeks already trying to set it..
Air pump is not part of the evap system, so that is not your problem. It's part of the secondary AIR system.

Scan test the car, see if you have a pending P1457. This is a two trip code and will not set the CEL while pending. You need to scan it to see if trip 1 is complete and check for pending codes.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Hi I have the same problem I have evap system and secondary air system code ... Do u think I'll change the air pump or drive it for more miles thanks...

Quick Reply: My car got REJECTED from emission testing