S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

my car feels like I am driving on a bumpy road?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car feels like I am driving on a bumpy road?

I was driving home from work yesterday and I felt like I was driving on a slightly bumpy road.... it has not stopped. The car feels almost unsafe to drive, I did not hit anything and did not do anything that would cause this. I am a pleasure driver of my S2000.... not a racer etc... I am also a female and afraid to take it to a mechanic and have them guess. I need some idea so I don't get taken for a ride.... Thanks Kelly
Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums. More info will help narrow your problem down. Is there a noise associated with the issue? Are you only feeling a vibration or is the car hard to control? Do you feel shaking through the steering wheel or through the seat? It might be something as simple as loose lug nuts or broken belts in a tire. Give us a little more to work with.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

has the car been sitting for a while? it could be cause by a flat spot on the tires. maybe a wheel weight came off. ^^ as he said a little more information could go a long way to help identify the cause
Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing that would be helpful would be to drive the car to the speed where it feels bumpy and then push the clutch in and let off the gas so engine drops to idle for a few seconds and see if it continues or stops. That would help tell if it's in the engine or transmission---it's unlikely it is but this would tell for,sure.

One of the first things to check would be your tires--if you go to a tire shop and let then drive the car (go with them!) they may be able to narrow it down---hopefully it's just a wheel weight that's come off or a tire that's gone bad (broken belt, etc)

Keep us posted on what you find out!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Hi, thank you for your responses... the car has not been sitting, I drive it all the time... It has not had any problems in the 7 years I have owned it. I recently put air in the right front tire as it was low.... There is a bit of a huming noise and I can feel the vibration under the driver seat also. Like I said at first it felt like a bumpy road of the beginning of a flat.... if I let go of the stearing wheel it shakes...
Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

First thought is the driver rear wheel bearing is going out. I have yet to have one go out on me with this particular car, but they do. A typical sign of this failure would be a red dust/powder around the hub assy. One thing you can do that is easy enough to look for signs is to pull the rear wheels off and inspect the hubs. Wile you are under there inspect the drive axles. They should have slight play at the diff flange and cups on the other end. Excessive would raise a flag.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

is the feeling constant? or do you only feel it while you are on the gas? your engine mounts might be gone or transmission mount. if you let go of the wheel and it shakes check the wheel balance. my bet is wheel is not balanced.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering wheel shaking when you let go of it usually means the problem is in the front wheel/suspension area. Since you had a low tire recently, I would start looking there. You could put your spare on the front right and go for a short drive to see if the problem is gone. If so, then take the old one to a tire shop.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

It could be a number of things that associate themselves with these symptoms unfortunately, even a sticking brake caliper. It would really need to be driven by someone experienced. Only so much we can pinpoint from behind a computer when there is half a dozen causes to the same symptoms.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Again, I want to thank everyone for their help... here is an update... I decided to take the car for an oil change as it was just about do.... I did not want to mention the issue, I just wanted to have a look for myself... while the car was up in the air I went under to have a look, I found a huge bulge on the inside of the front right tire.... YAY only the price of two new tires.... thanks Again!!! Kelly

Quick Reply: my car feels like I am driving on a bumpy road?