S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My car is falling apart!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is falling apart!

MY07 has been running like a champ since I bought it new and has served me well for the past 67k miles.

I recently went in for an oil change as I've always done at around 3500-4000 miles or when the % oil warning message comes on. As part of my ritual, every other time I go and buy my oil (Mobil 1 full-synth) I get a fuel system cleaner to run in my tank.

Aparently last time I did this, I was a little too low on fuel and my check engine light came on saying O2 oxygen censor failure. I have a tester and found the code and decided it would pass with enough tanks of gas. Sure enough, it took about three tanks, but the error message went away, but it went away... until one day I took a different route to work and made a left hand turn at an intersection where they were cutting a line in the road to run what I can only guess was new control lines for some new lights going in at that intersection. I was accelerating to make my turn and clear the intersection before oncomming traffic hit this gap with enough fource to make me wince. I emmediately got a CEL and pulled over (I thought I might have dented my rims too). I checked the rims and everything was fine and I checked the CEL and it was "P0135 4 - 1 --------------- Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Sensor 1)
"
Edit: Actual error was "P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"... had to scroll down the CEL page on the site to find that.

Because of the timing, originally through it was just my O2 problem and it would clear again... needless to say it didn't.

A couple days later, I noticed that my defroster and my soft-top both don't work as well. I couldn't figure out exactly which was the correct fuse for this circuit, but I tested every one of them on the driver side and couldn't find a single bad fuse!

So.... I"m relitively handy... before I start tearing things out hunting down this problem, I thought I would come here for some guidance first.

Does anybody have a suggestion on what could be causing the CEL + no soft-top + no defroster. I think I checked all of the fuses (but an exact fuse/location would help confirm this) and they all passed and I checked the large fuses for the soft-top motors as well.

I thought this was a fuse problem for sure, but after getting out my fluke meter I see that was wrong.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

You have a bad o2. It is not related to running low on fuel or any driving you do. The CEL is not related to your soft top issue.

Do your windows work?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
You have a bad o2. It is not related to running low on fuel or any driving you do. The CEL is not related to your soft top issue.

Do your windows work?
windows work, but rear window defroster and soft-top doesn't work.

what's with the "heater circuit" part in that CEL? That just means an O2 replacement and not something else?

We are driving down the shore this weekend. Is it ok to drive down there if I can't get the O2 sensor replaced in time?

How about fixing that soft-top control... I know my wife would love to drive down with the top down if possible.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

check every fuse in the car, even if they appear to be not related to the soft top.

I just had a guy here whos top and windows did not work. He replaced every fuse in the system, or so he thought.

The "front wiper" fuse was blown, and the top and windows didnt work.

As far as the o2, the heater circuit inside it is bad. replace it.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 AM

sounds like a plan. I tested most of the fuses with a fuse tester from pepboys while they were still inside the car and only tested the ones I couldn't get at with the fluke meter. I'll pull them all one at a time and really inspect them closely.

If that doesn't work I'm going to end up pulling the covers off to access the defroster/soft-top switches and trace the wires... oh joy.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would just be a waste of time, but have fun
Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
check every fuse in the car, even if they appear to be not related to the soft top.

I just had a guy here whos top and windows did not work. He replaced every fuse in the system, or so he thought.

The "front wiper" fuse was blown, and the top and windows didnt work.
That damn windshield wiper fuse!!

Check that fuse, Also check you ebrake switch conection, could have hit that cut in the road hard enough to make a loose conection
Old 07-02-2011, 02:41 PM

gut your soft top and strip the car and make it into a light racing track car. forget the wires and fuses as long as it runs as a champ. lol
Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM

if your car is still under warranty get it fixed at dealership for free
Old 07-04-2011, 05:08 AM

I"m at 67k miles on an 07'... I believe that would be out of warranty.

I like that idea about the ebrake switch. that got me excited for a minute, but I'm not sure that would explain the defroster... doesn't mean I won't try to check it out.

I'll switch out the wiper fuse this afternoon and see how things go.

Quick Reply: My car is falling apart!