S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My car is dead

Old 02-22-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K' date='Feb 22 2005, 08:55 PM
So you were in 2nd...and started to shift into 3rd. But in the middle (with the clutch still down...and the shifter inbetween the 2nd and 3rd gear gate) you hit the rev limiter and went into redline...then you shifted into 3rd?

So you never went into 1st gear?
i am very confused..so how did you mis shift? or over rev?

can you describe the situation again?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:34 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Car is at the dealer right now.

To clarify, I wound out 2nd to about 8800 or so best I can recall and went to shift into 3rd. I missed the 3rd gear gate but my right foot was a little quicker to get back on the gas so basically the car was in neutral and I reapplied the gas. I realized I missed the gate, let off the gas, finally put the car into 3rd and it was fine.

So basically, the car went into the red under no load. Does the rev limiter maybe not activate if the car is not in gear? I had an '01 Corvette before this and (granted under a load) used to bounce off the rev limiter all the time either at the track or on the dyno.

Well, at this point there is nothing I can do. The car is at the dealer and I'm waiting for them to call me with what they find.

Wish me luck
Old 02-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't think you are able to over rev your car if you are in netural. The car does have its own rev limiter on upshifts (just as long as you don't miss a down shift).

Are you sure you didn't shift into 1st gear when you hit the gate? That seems like the only way your engine could have gotten any damage.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:42 AM

Shadow, I agree.

This gets more interesting by the hour - dealer just took the first look at it after it came off the flatbed...

"There is no oil in the engine".

How can this be possible ?? I changed the oil less than 6 weeks ago and check the stick on a regular basis. No oil light, no smoke, no overheating... nothing.

I don't know if I should be mad or crying, or both!

Waiting to hear more. This is unbelievable.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:58 AM

Update - North Shore Honda calls me telling me "yes, there IS oil in your car, it's just a quart or two low."

"But you told me there was NO oil in it this morning when it came off the flatbed."

"Yes, it was on an incline when we took the reading".

"Have you pulled any codes off of it yet?"

"No, not yet. We think it's an electrical problem stemming from your stereo."

Are these guys joking????

Well, following the advice of a few others, I told them to leave the car outside and not to touch it.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=271235
Old 02-23-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

CEL=Pull codes...if they don't know this is step 1, they're wasting your time, money, and don't have a clue what they are doing. Someone said they saw an S2K on the side of the road in Glen Cove, it was probably you.

All the posters here are correct. By your description, you couldn't have over-reved. Unless you put the car in first gear accidentially and let the clutch out. Some s2k's burn oil. While a quart or two low, this is not your problem unless you were cornering at max G's.

Tow the car to your house if you like, I'll come over and scan/comp test it. I'll PM you my cell.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesnt get any better than that! now that's some good karma Bill is racking up
Old 02-24-2005, 03:35 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

P1399 is a temp misfire code, which says all cylinders have misfired initially. You have now stored codes P0301 (misfire on cyl 1) P0302 (misfire on 2) so on and so forth.

Worse case scenario....you bent 8 exhaust valves, and broke 8 intake retainers. How this could happen in YOUR case, as described...failed rev-limiter. But I highly doubt this is the case.

I think the flooring of the gas pedal with a hard bounce off the limiter triggered something else that already needed attention, which is TBA. Stay tuned fellas, imma go out there Saturday towards the evening and check it out.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:28 AM

I'm looking forward to finding out what it is.

Thanks for the help so far Bill...

Old 02-24-2005, 06:34 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

billman

Quick Reply: My car is dead