S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

my car is bleeding! PLEASE help.

Old 03-12-2002, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car is bleeding! PLEASE help.

so i noticed when i first got my car after about four months the coolant level was on minimum. - RIGHT on the minimum line. I thought it was simply water evaporating so i topped it back off. two months later i notice the same thing so i top it back off with water. TODAY in a parking lot i did a 5k rpm drop - this is the FIRST time i have done this. just to see what'd my car do- with 4k miles and first service done. Well as i was walking away i saw some antifreeze on the ground and thought "oh shit my car IS leaking coolant" But then i realized there were a lot of banged up cars around so it couldnt be mine. I also thought that if my car WAS leaking then surely it would atleast leak in the garage i mean even a drop. This on the ground was kind of a lot of antifreeze. So i come home and what do i notice aobut the coolant level? ITS ON MINIMUM again. and i look under and i DONT see any leaks. WHAT is going on PLEASE help.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

FOLLOW THE OVERFLOW TUBE THAT COMES OUT UNDER THE radiator cap and see if it goes into the holding tank
Old 03-12-2002, 03:31 PM

Check for a bad radiator cap. I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be my crappy aftermarket Mugen radiator cap leaking whenever the radiator built up any pressure. My local NSX mechanic said the cap was nothing a cheap $2 cap which Mugen had re-labeled.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:32 PM

it does. it always has. i've looked everywhere for leaks but i cant find any.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:58 AM

I've owned a lot of Hondas and that overflow tank never has much in it.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The level in the overflow tank should never move.

Best inspection is UV dye (your dealer should have it). Next best thing is to jack the car up outside on a sunny day and comb over it top to bottom and look for the telltale green trail from leaking coolant. With a leak like yours you should see a trail where it's coming out.

- look around the cap
- look around the hose from the fill neck to the overflow
- inspect the overflow for cracks
- look at rad hoses (upper and lower, you'll need to remove the splash shield for the lower)
- look at the hoses on the manifold/throttle body
- look at the water inlet and outlets (can see from underneath)

You might just want to take it to the dealer. You definitely have a problem.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a "Stant" pressure tester. If the leak is not gross and you can't find it let me know and I'll send you the tester. Small leaks are sometimes hard to find. Sounds large and should be easy to find.....look for green dye after a short hard drive. You did not mention if you had added any mods? Mugen cooling components....an AEM Intake? Look at modded areas to assure nothing came loose. I know I worked with you on another issue but can't remember what it was? If you added an AEM, there is a coolant line which the kit alters....it may be leaking as some of the hoses are a bitch!
Old 03-15-2002, 02:09 PM

I had put in headers and the problem i HAD was with the loose heatshield. Well i've checked all around the car and i get no signs of leaking - even the tank is at the same spot it was 3 days ago after the incident(i added a little to get a little above the minimum). I think the problem was that before the incident the coolant was ABOVE the maximum- it stayed there for about 4 months and finally one day i guess it all just popped out?