S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My brakes are sticking and i dont know what to do

Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My brakes are sticking and i dont know what to do

HI guys i dont know what to do. heres what happened. A few weeks ago I started to notice that when i slowed to a stop and released the brake pedal, while still very slightly rolling, my car would stop itself. and when it would come to a complete stop it would jerk back by itself as if i was hitting the brakes. So i jacked up the car and on the passenger front right wheel there were wear rings on the rotor and i could barely move the wheel with my hands. i think its safe to say that that caliper is sticking. But the weird thing is that the passenger rear right as well as the driver side front wheels are doing the same except without any wear rings and im actually able to move them slightly with my hands. just a few hours ago i finished bleeding brakes my fluid was BLACK with chunks of CRUD in it. therefore i thought this might be the problem. as i still had the car up i tried to rotate the affected wheels and still had the same amount of tension. the fluid is really clean now as well as all the fluid in the brake lines.Anyway after finally putting the car down and driving it it seemed slightly better ,althought i really wouldnt be able to tell how much better it got because as the brakes got hotter they would stick more. i will find out tomorrow when i drive to work.

My question is has anyone else had this problem? or any experience with this problem. i read on here that if the brakes are actually sticking you have to replace the calipers. i just wanna try everything before i spend the money. also could my dirty fluid have been the cause of this? And the last question is hows a good way to know if i need new rotors or if i can just get them resurfaced? ALL information is greatly appreciated. thank you very much
Old 11-10-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

Calipers are junk.

The pistons are going to be packed with rust if your fluid was that bad. Been seeing it on older s2ks on a regular basis due to not changing the brake fluid.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 AM

As Billman said, your calipers are probably shot. Get some new ones (easier route than trying to rebuild them), flush the fluid again and get new rotors (better than having them resurfaced). Should fix your problems. It shouldn't cost too much, especially if you go aftermarket vice OEM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 AM

thanks guys really appreciate the help. as far as oem calipers and rotors vs. aftermaket will i have any trouble with aftermarket? and as far a rebuilding them im pretty mechanically inclined so i wouldnt mind doig it as long as its worth and doesnt cost as much new ones. any info?

thanks again.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:52 AM

also has anyone had experience with passwordjdm slotted/cross-drilled brake rotors? i want to hear everyones opinion
Old 11-10-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

Depends on what comes with the rebuild kit...on the calipers I've tried to save, all of the pistons were garbage.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by vufgew
also has anyone had experience with passwordjdm slotted/cross-drilled brake rotors? i want to hear everyones opinion
Slotted/cross-drilled rotors are a waste of money in my opinion. You'd be better off with blank rotors and save yourself some cash.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it might be a good opportunity/excuse to install the accord calipers...
Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 PM
VAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely replace the brake hoses while you're at it. Some of those chunks of crud could be bits of the inner lining of the hoses that have come loose.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 PM

I know no body uses them anymore, but if you were to brake hone the cylinder of the caliper can you still use the same size pistons or do you risk brake fluid leaking?

Quick Reply: My brakes are sticking and i dont know what to do