S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My brakes REALLY squeak!?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brakes REALLY squeak!?

I've had my S2000 for all of about 2 weeks now and love it to bits, but when I apply the brakes they squeak/squeal on initial contact.

Once fully applied the squeaking goes away, but this is really annoying and loud at low speeds.

I believe the previous owner replaced these about 3 months ago.

Any ideas???

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 AM

I just replaced mine with cheap pads and regret it. I figured I would give the cheap ones a shot and see how they do. It was not worth the squeak that I get to save the money.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pads will determine the sound. My track pads squeak like a mofo, my oem almost none. the compond determines how they behave.

That said, make sure the shims are in and the pad piston interface is lubed, along with the sliders on the caliper.

Basic brake maintenance is pretty simple and you should be able to get a local to help you.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 AM

some copper grease on the backs of the pads and also on the pad sliding bits... you'll be surprised how much better it makes the brakes just by lubricating them like that, just make sure you get no lube on contact stuff, pad face or disc etc.. I had a sticking pad in the rear and fixed it simply with some scrubbing of rust and lubing...

either that or you's got a mouse up in dat caliper y0!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM

I had a squeak at one point. I treid regreasing them with no luck. They were OEM pads so that wasn't the issue. There was PLENTY of pad material left so that wasn't it either. I ran out of solutions so I just bought a new pair of OEM pads and the squeak went away. So I have no idea what it was.

Try the easy solutions first.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by pmptx,Jan 20 2011, 05:24 AM
The pads will determine the sound. My track pads squeak like a mofo, my oem almost none. the compond determines how they behave.

That said, make sure the shims are in and the pad piston interface is lubed, along with the sliders on the caliper.

Basic brake maintenance is pretty simple and you should be able to get a local to help you.
That's all jargon to me unfortunately, but I'll hold on to the info until I find someone that does understand.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by gtg749m,Jan 21 2011, 12:20 AM
I had a squeak at one point. I treid regreasing them with no luck. They were OEM pads so that wasn't the issue. There was PLENTY of pad material left so that wasn't it either. I ran out of solutions so I just bought a new pair of OEM pads and the squeak went away. So I have no idea what it was.

Try the easy solutions first.
did you take off the metal cap on the back of the pad and regreased, then grease the metal pad that's in contact with the piston. Also greased all the sliding elements like the shoulders of the pad etc..?

other thing you could do is take some sand paper to the pad surface to roughen it up a bit... might of glazed over and started squeeking..?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nickamsweet,Jan 21 2011, 01:06 AM
did you take off the metal cap on the back of the pad and regreased, then grease the metal pad that's in contact with the piston. Also greased all the sliding elements like the shoulders of the pad etc..?

other thing you could do is take some sand paper to the pad surface to roughen it up a bit... might of glazed over and started squeeking..?
I did the greasing correctly. Didn't do the sand paper. OP, add the sandpaper to your list before getting new brakes
Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Are the shims on there? Many knuckleheads leave them off, there should be two on the outside. There are many junk pads out there, and a few great noisy pads. How well does it brake?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:09 AM

breaks on a car like the s2000 are always going to squek a litle

Quick Reply: My brakes REALLY squeak!?