S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My brake caplipers' rubber piston dust boots are cooked!

Old 03-26-2003, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brake caplipers' rubber piston dust boots are cooked!

I was swapping out my front rotors today and was surprised to see that the rubber boot that surrounds each caliper's piston is totally fried. I guess it's from the heat generated on track. Anyhow, half of the rubber material is totally gone. I mean it's not even there anymore, like ashes that blew away in the wind. I'm a bit concerned now that stuff might get up in there and bust the bladder that holds the fluid in. Should I be worried?

Has anyone run into this? And if so, what did you do about it? Rebuild the calipers?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most that have seen heavy track braking have some damage. The piston seal is maintained by an internal gasket so I don't worry about it too much. I rebuilt my calipers and replaced them once but after they were overheated they got brittle and show damage again. I just ignore it now,
Old 03-27-2003, 07:29 AM

Maybe there's some heat-resistant grease out there that can be spread over the rebuilt boot to protect it against the heat?
Old 03-27-2003, 06:02 PM

Honda uses hi-temp urea grease on other parts of the car. I don't know if it can withstand the abuse the brake calipers go through.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:33 PM

This is the reason that racing calipers do not have dust shields . The brake pad backer plate gets very hot under track conditions . Do not put grease in this area , grease and friction don
Old 03-27-2003, 11:01 PM

Brad,

Could you comment on this thread about Wilwood caliper blowing a piston seal?
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=442375

They talk about racing calipers not having dust boots, but I'm not sure about all of the implications. Would a design like the Pinnacle system require all this extra 'care' or maintenance as well? I do check the general status when I change pads, but I don't want to get an aftermarket system and worry that I'll fall down a canyon.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:47 PM

In is amazing how many posts have be made and now people are starting to ask some great questions .

The stiffness of a caliper keeps the pistons straight in their bores . This reduces the wear on the piston and the caliper housing . Draw a picture of a caliper with the pads worn greater at the outer edge , this tips the pad in the caliper , now push on the brake pedal , the piston will follow the tipped pad and cock in its bore . This will create wear and sticking pistons ( this will also elongate the piston bore) . A protective coating on a caliper is also required , because there are no dust shields to protect the bore ( I have not seen any one paint inside the bores) . The fact is you get what you pay for . A cheaper caliper will require more maintenance, if the cost is low enough just throw them away and install new ones when maintenance is required . ( But when should that be done? Before or after a problem arises ?)

When I first tested our calipers after using the #3 pads on the track and 8 to 9,000 street miles , one of the pads had zero taper from top to bottom and the other 3 had very little . ( I still have this set of pads ) Our caliper is nickel plated inside and out to protect the FORGED ( real forged ) aluminum outer assemblies . Under full racing conditions , I would recommend rebuilding calipers once a year . Under some hard track use ,every two years . Every time you change pads, pistons and pad wear should be noted. The steel
Old 03-30-2003, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwb1
[B]In is amazing how many posts have be made and now people are starting to ask some great questions .

The stiffness of a caliper keeps the pistons straight in their bores . This reduces the wear on the piston and the caliper housing . Draw a picture of