S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is this my axle nut?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this my axle nut?

First things, yes I did search. I'm thinking this sound is the axle nut, but before I go out and spend $20 on a socket I want to make sure that it's the general consensus on what the problem is. I removed my rear sway and adjusted my ride height a little bit higher, and then started hearing this noise. It's only when i'm in first gear and below ~10mph. Any help/input is appreciated, thanks S2Ki!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtezPeCjk6k[/media]
Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 PM

That repeated click does not sound like an axle but click, IMO. However, you can simply pop off the caps and check if they have been retorqued otherwise it'll lead to other problems. I don't know what that noise is.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
That repeated click does not sound like an axle but click, IMO. However, you can simply pop off the caps and check if they have been retorqued otherwise it'll lead to other problems. I don't know what that noise is.
Thanks for the input man. The axle nut looks like it has been re-staked but there is no yellow line.. how can I tell if it's been retorqued or not?
Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

with the noise starting right after you worked back there I'd have to say it isn't the axle nut or you would have heard it before, nonetheless I think everyone should check theirs. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust ?, go back under there and look for some marks on the exhaust and suspension where something could be rubbing. Maybe you hit the dust shield on the rear brake by accident and pushed it in contact with the rotor or other parts.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

doesnt sound like an axle nut issue to me,...I am pretty sure the axle click is more of a clunk and just a single noise once you start moving.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM

I had a very similar sound only at speeds under 10km. It turned out one of the nuts holding my valve stem on came loose and was clanging around inside the wheel. Take the wheel off and bounce it around and see if thats it.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
with the noise starting right after you worked back there I'd have to say it isn't the axle nut or you would have heard it before, nonetheless I think everyone should check theirs. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust ?, go back under there and look for some marks on the exhaust and suspension where something could be rubbing. Maybe you hit the dust shield on the rear brake by accident and pushed it in contact with the rotor or other parts.
Thanks for your input JFUSION. Yes, I am running the Berk 3" headerback. I tried wiggling the exhaust in different places to see if I could recreate the noise, but wasn't able to do much. I'll get back under the car and check for any rubbing marks.

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
doesnt sound like an axle nut issue to me,...I am pretty sure the axle click is more of a clunk and just a single noise once you start moving.
Good to hear, thanks for your input man.

Originally Posted by tbatty
I had a very similar sound only at speeds under 10km. It turned out one of the nuts holding my valve stem on came loose and was clanging around inside the wheel. Take the wheel off and bounce it around and see if thats it.
So far this theory is making the most sense, as I did just put my new set of RPF1's on the car. I'll take the wheel off later and bounce it around, and post back with my results. Hopefully this is all it is.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:52 PM

It was a new set of rpf1s for me too.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 PM

Posting back for anyone in the future with the same problem...

Took my RPF1 off and bounced it around like tbatty told me to, and sure it enough it's the valve stem. Thanks for the help guys!