S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My AP1, and my problems...

Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My AP1, and my problems...

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone on the forums here. My name is Amir, I recently purchased a 2000 AP1. At 60k miles it wasnt in the best condition but I know of honda's reliability so I decided to go ahead and purchase it. I live in Miami and I needed a reliable car to take me from there to Gainesville, about 350 miles away. So I replaced the sparks, full oil and filter change, clay and zaino. The car is now in OK shape, certainly in OK mechanical shape. Slowly but surely its starting to look like it did when it left the factory in 2000. Now here are some troubles that have raised my concerns. The first is the clanking I'm hearing from my LSD as I ease out of first, or ease into reverse. Its not a metal on metal clank, its more muffled than that, but I can still feel a minor shock in the cabin. The problem arises when I start driving the car hard, I take I75 for about 15 miles to commute to school, so every morning after the engine is sufficiently warmed I like to hit it as i come onto the highway. Under hard shifting say in 2nd at between 8300 or 8500 rpm into third, I shift, but sometimes (especially when your dumping the clutch) the revs break. (What I'm trying to explain is that is seems like my clutch is not fully engaging the flywheel). After the shift into the next gear the revs free itself, maybe for about 400 to 1000 rpms then drops after I feel it engage. I do not know if this is a clutch or LSD problem but it does not only happen from 2nd to 3rd, it has happened from 3rd to 4th, AND 4th to 5th as well. This only occurs when I shift after 7900 rpm. As well I have a CEL poltergeist, I have had it checked, and the code read P0410 (Secondary Air Injection system fault). I dont know much about the technical aspects of engines but I know enough about mechanics. This is not so much a problem to me as the above. Apparently the clutch was changed (for another stock) at honda service around 55k miles so. Other than that I love my AP1, my previous car was an E46 330 coupe performance package BMW. It was a great car, drove incredible, but the lease was up. I usually vouch for german engineering, but honda sold me after I read up on the development of this particular model s2000. I appreciate any help you guys can give I know most of you are as enthusiastic about these cars as I am.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First problem sounds like a slipping clutch to me.

I don't know about the second problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

sounds like a slipping clutch
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 AM

your clutch is def. going... mine started doing the same thing. I have an 01 w/ 61k on it. it would only act up when I shifted towards redline. I drove it for about another week, and it got bad quickly. the car's still drivable if I really baby it, but it's now parked and set to go in the shop for a new clutch next monday.

if they put a new clutch in at 55k there's no reason why it should be slipping SO soon.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Secondary Air Injection system fault
is ussually the vaccum lines that go to the injections system... Look right behind your intake box between the motor and the box, You should have two metal lines with 2 rubber hoses attached to them.
Ussually one of the rubber lines will come off the metal hose.. Mine does and I just have to get a clamp..
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 AM

Well I'm going to have a talk with the previous owner, but if it is really a worn clutch then it wont be a biggie to replace. I just checked on the lines you were talking about Stealth, on the nipple closer to the engine, the hose runs to a sensor. I did not see any disconnected lines, but the sensor which is usually screwed to the airbox is dangling. I need to get a replacement screw from honda I guess, the bigger question is whether this is causing my CEL problems or not.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The CEL is not critical. The Secondary Air Injection, or air pump, is really only used when the engine is cold and it is to get the cat up to operating temp quickly to reduce emissions. It will not impact the car's performance.

However, it may be that the air pump is on the way out or that the relay has a problem. It can also happen if you are in the habit of revving the car hard when the engine is still cold.

Here is a thread you can read for more troubleshooting advice on this CEL code:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry12635861
Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 305GUY,Sep 2 2008, 01:46 PM
Well I'm going to have a talk with the previous owner, but if it is really a worn clutch then it wont be a biggie to replace. I just checked on the lines you were talking about Stealth, on the nipple closer to the engine, the hose runs to a sensor. I did not see any disconnected lines, but the sensor which is usually screwed to the airbox is dangling. I need to get a replacement screw from honda I guess, the bigger question is whether this is causing my CEL problems or not.
if that sensor was dangling, i would check for any frayed wires leading to that sensor. With the serpentine belt system so close it woulr be very easy for it to slice the wires when dangling right in front of it.