S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Must air from "fresh air mode"?

Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must air from "fresh air mode"?

Hi,

I'm not sure what's wrong, but my vents let out musty air unless I have it on recirculated air mode. I'm not sure if these means I have to change the cabin air filter or intake air filter or something else etc etc.

Anyone know what I should do?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 PM

CHange out the cabin air filter.

Do you run your AC and just shut the car off without turning off the AC and letting fresh air run through your vents?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Start with CA filter....easy DIY.

Utah
Old 09-21-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by maaaaackle
CHange out the cabin air filter.

Do you run your AC and just shut the car off without turning off the AC and letting fresh air run through your vents?
Oo, I'm guilty of doing that! What does it do?

I'll have the AC on plus Re-circulation to make the air come out faster.

If it's not hot, i'll have everything off but re-circulation on because warm air will come through the vents inherently.

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Start with CA filter....easy DIY.

Utah
Will do!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 PM

If you run the AC and then shut the car off before turning the AC off, moisture will sit in the vents. When moisture sits, it starts to get gross. Thats why you have musky air.

So, before you shut the car off, turn off the AC and let the fans blow to dry off the moisture that developed from having your AC on.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 AM

I personally switch to circulation mode and turn off AC couple miles before arriving at my destination.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by maaaaackle
If you run the AC and then shut the car off before turning the AC off, moisture will sit in the vents. When moisture sits, it starts to get gross. Thats why you have musky air.

So, before you shut the car off, turn off the AC and let the fans blow to dry off the moisture that developed from having your AC on.
If that's the case shouldn't I be smelling the musty air no matter if I have it on circulation mode or not? Right now its only when I dont have circulation mode on
Old 09-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Talent

If that's the case shouldn't I be smelling the musty air no matter if I have it on circulation mode or not? Right now its only when I dont have circulation mode on
Regardless of why or how, you have some moldy nasties in there someplace. So get a new cabin filter, then go to Walmart and get a can Linen Fresh Lysol. Remove filter, turn on a/c (in fresh air mode), spray Lysol into filter opening. Go switch the controls to different vent arrangements, respray.

Oh, do this top down, or you will be fumigating your interior and won't be able to drive until it dissipates.

Do the same with heater on. While there is still fumes of this stuff in the vents, switch to recirculate.

This should kill all the mold. Or at least 99.9% of it like the label says!

Install new filter. Drive. Enjoy fresh linen aroma...
Old 09-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

24 months of driving produced this amount of dirt in the cabin filter. Surprised me as a new filter was fitted when I bought the car two years ago. $10 or so.

Never smelled musty though at any time.

-- Chuck

Name:  IMG_2207_zpsognkgucs.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  767.3 KB
Old 09-22-2016, 02:37 PM
Fat

Originally Posted by Chuck S
24 months of driving produced this amount of dirt in the cabin filter. Surprised me as a new filter was fitted when I bought the car two years ago. $10 or so.

Never smelled musty though at any time.

-- Chuck

interesting how the diagonal pattern from top left to bottom right forms in just 2 years. when i changed mine it was caked with debris, but more so along the diagonal.

Quick Reply: Must air from "fresh air mode"?