S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

mushy and squeaky clutch pedal????????

Old 09-30-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mushy and squeaky clutch pedal????????

Anyone know if a mushy and squeaky clutch pedal that feels like its rubbing up against something means anything?? i got a ACT clutch kit and comptech flywheel installed, and shortly after the install, it started doing this. Anyone have any opinions??
Old 09-30-2003, 05:30 PM

bleed your clutch fluid
Old 10-01-2003, 04:47 PM

When my dealer did the clutch TSB they failed to regrease the spindle forks thingy. The pedal fealt like it was binding and made a squeeking / groaning sound.

The fix is easy and takes only 5 minutes.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:19 PM

what the heck is the spindle forks thingy??
Old 10-03-2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Hanzie
what the heck is the spindle forks thingy??
He probably means the release fork and its attachment points. The release fork connects the business end of the clutch slave cylinder to the transmission. Because the release fork pivots every single time you press the clutch pedal, it's of extreme importance that it is properly greased, or you'll get squeaking. I'm having the same problem now with my Integra, I had clutch work done on that car about 15,000 miles ago and it's only now starting to squeak, so I'm doing my best to cram some lithium grease in there to stop the noise. I pointed the noise out to the shop that does all my work now, and their suggestion was a new throw out bearing, clutch friction and clutch pressure plate, to the tune of $1050. I suggested they suck something. If I can't get it properly lubed, I'll just turn up my radio so I won't hear the squeak anymore.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:35 PM

Yep. That's what I'm talking about. With time it makes a God-awful sound and feels like its "sticking".

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by MyBad
Yep. That's what I'm talking about. With time it makes a God-awful sound and feels like its "sticking"
Yes it is a horrible sound, and because of the way the components conduct the sound, you would think the noise was coming from the clutch pedal; it's not. You can lube all the linkages in the clutch pedal assembly until the cows come home, but you won't get rid of the squeak until you lube the release fork.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:45 AM

I've got a similar sqeeking from the clutch pedal but I also sometimes get a buzzing feeling from the pedal. I don't hear a buzzing sound, just a feeling in the pedal where the takeup is no longer perfectly smooth. I did have the clutch TSB done about 6k miles or so ago. The dealer wants to replace the clutch hydraulic cylinder to the tune of $240. Any idea if this relase fork lube thing is the way to go?
Old 10-05-2003, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveZ
I've got a similar sqeeking from the clutch pedal but I also sometimes get a buzzing feeling from the pedal.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are several places that will squeak and possible feel like it is binding when you operate the clutch pedal through its full travel.
-the pedal itself and all the areas in its immediate vicinity that moves with it.
-the plunger that the pedal pushes on that is inside the master clutch cylinder. It has been know to "catch" on the little ridge inside and then damage the sealing surfaces. Solution is a new master cylinder.
-the slave cylinder. This is less likely but still a possibility.
-the Throw Out Bearing. It has been noted that it is important to grease the spindle on which this thing rides. Some installers neglect this important point and this will cause the noise and premature wear. This one is not an easy fix as the tranny has to be removed.

Quick Reply: mushy and squeaky clutch pedal????????