S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Murphy's law - car almost sold and now it dies

Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

Did you pop the axle back into the dif?????

Just use a hammer and pop it back in. thats how it works. Pops in and out.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xrapidx
An update.

I got under the car this evening, the drive shaft is turning, and therefore power is being transferred to the diff, it doesn't look like there are any problems there as it turns smoothly.

It looks, and feels like the sound is coming from the diff.

Strangely, when you turn the car on - for about 10 seconds it does the clanking sound, and then idles and revs fine OUT of gear... after these 10 seconds, it only does it while in gear - is there an explanation to for it doing this? (bare in mind everything I learnt about cars is from my S2000 - so not to mechanical). I can also reproduce this by turning off the car and starting it again.

Lastly - I'm assuming there's no way of estimating a cost to repair without taking it out?

I may be missing something here but, If your reving standing still, car in neutral(clutch in) the engine isnt transferring any power through the drivline.

Does the sound come when standing still? If so Its not your diff.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250

Id try this The axle is not connected properly. I could see how this is a problem
Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2klariat
You can pick up a decent, used diff anywhere from $500 to $1000. Not sure about cost of a rebuild but most people just tend to replace it.
I'm going to have to look out for one... South Africa - they're kinda scarce.

I tried - but didn't put to much pressure on it as I didn't want to risk more damage...it won't go further than the above picture, but pulls out a bit further with ease.

Where exactly should I hit the thing, and how hard?

Originally Posted by Neuman04
I may be missing something here but, If your reving standing still, car in neutral(clutch in) the engine isnt transferring any power through the drivline.

Thats what I thought - but while lying under the vehicle I saw the drive shaft spinning while it was idling.

It only makes the sound when you start the car, for around 10 seconds, then stops - after that it only does it when you put it in gear.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by xrapidx
Originally Posted by s2klariat' timestamp='1317666819' post='21035460
You can pick up a decent, used diff anywhere from $500 to $1000. Not sure about cost of a rebuild but most people just tend to replace it.
I'm going to have to look out for one... South Africa - they're kinda scarce.

I tried - but didn't put to much pressure on it as I didn't want to risk more damage...it won't go further than the above picture, but pulls out a bit further with ease.

Where exactly should I hit the thing, and how hard?

Originally Posted by Neuman04

Thats what I thought - but while lying under the vehicle I saw the drive shaft spinning while it was idling.

It only makes the sound when you start the car, for around 10 seconds, then stops - after that it only does it when you put it in gear.
Why would you pull the axle out MORE? take the wheel off and just hit the tip with a rubber mallet. I replaced an axle on a previous car and I had to use some serious force to get it into the transmission.

If its only a diff issue then your motor wouldnt be making some weird noise on start up. Sounds like something else too.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
Why would you pull the axle out MORE? take the wheel off and just hit the tip with a rubber mallet. I replaced an axle on a previous car and I had to use some serious force to get it into the transmission.

If its only a diff issue then your motor wouldnt be making some weird noise on start up. Sounds like something else too.
Didn't pull it far - after trying to get it in - I pulled on it slightly to see if it would move at all, moved about .5"

The start-up thing is a bit odd... because the only way I can reproduce it is by turning off the s2k and starting it again... it sounds exactly the same as when you try and put the vehicle in gear and try and take your foot of the clutch.

Wish I had a reliable mechanic who could come round... so damn expensive to get the car taken somewhere, and the biggest problem is where to take it without knowing whats wrong.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 AM

Your axle is falling out plain and simple.

use a little sledge hammer and long dull punch, and hit the thing back in to the dif. It must look like the other side axle when correct.

I cant believe this thread has gone on like this. Once that pic was posted it is obvious what needs to be done.

you dont need a mechanic. you need a hammer and a long dull punch and fix the car.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:06 AM

It will take a good shot to get it in. dont be scared and hit it.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 AM

Thanks - guess I'll give it a go on the weekend...

Think the thread went on because I couldn't get under the car while it was running... and the "symptoms" kept changing whether it was doing it out of gear or not.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Fix obvious first.

check for symptoms later.

Quick Reply: Murphy's law - car almost sold and now it dies