S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Murphy's law - car almost sold and now it dies

Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Murphy's law - car almost sold and now it dies

I almost sold my vehicle, all I had to do was get the wheel alignment done, and Skunk2 exhaust removed and stock on replaced - I did this today.

As I was leaving the exhaust place, I'd done about 2 miles, and could feel a odd vibration, but thought it was the ACT clutch buzz - and I just wasn't used to it without the exhaust.

I accelerated to see if it goes away, and suddenly the s2000 started making a repetitive clanking sound and lost all power, no CEL... I turned it off, started again and it idled fine, put in gear and tried to accelerate and it goes no where, the clanking just gets more repetitive. Out of gear, accelerate, same thing... while idling it also seems to do it, but not as frequently.

Any ideas? I've had issues with this clutch before, and it was suggested its that....or the diff... seriously depressed... the vehicle was supposed to go on Monday, at least someone else didn't get stuck with this on his first couple of days of owning it.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound like the diff. Does it go in all gears? When mine went the casing actually exploded so it was very easy to diagnose. Lift up the car (all four point please do not only lift rear unless you have a wheelstop up front it is very dangerous) and inspect the diff. With the car in the air rotate the rear tires and see if the noise is coming from the diff.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Will check the gears - if it goes into them what does it indicate? It goes into first and second quite easily.

Stupid question maybe, but is the diff used when the car is out of gear and standing still?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 AM

Well if it is going into gear then you can more than likely rule out the transmission. You say the engine is idling and reving so you can rule that out. So by process of elimination that only leaves one thing- the differential I bet if you have someone look under the car while you have it in gear trying to move you will see the drive shaft spinning which means the engine is transfering the power to the transmission, and the transmission is transfering the power to the differential, but the differential isn't transfering the power to the rear wheels.

Edit: The axles go directly into the diff so if it is locked up or broken then it can make it very difficult or impossible to make the car roll even if not in gear.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks... *sigh* and the chances of it being the clutch...
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Doubtful, the clutch wouldn't produce those symptoms. Clutches normally go bad over a period of time and show symptoms of slipping long before they finally die.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Just my luck then...
Old 09-24-2011, 02:48 AM

Here is a soundclip - you can hear the car is in gear in the beginning, I then take it out of gear and rev the engine and it sounds fine (strangely, last night it also did the popping sound infrequently while out of gear and being pulled onto the flat bed).

From around 40 seconds I put it in gear and try and accelerate, the vehicle doesn't attempt to move.

Under the vehicle I can't see any damage to the diff - but its a bit difficult without help... I'll have help tomorrow to check if the drive shaft is turning, don't want to do this to often for fear of further damage.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:09 AM

Sound like you droped the driveshaft or an axle but also could be diff
Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Is this normal (coming out of the diff)

Quick Reply: Murphy's law - car almost sold and now it dies