S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mugen thermostat and fan switch question...

Old 04-27-2004, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen thermostat and fan switch question...

Under some conditions, I've found that using a cooler temp thermostat and fan switch (on my prior VW's) would effectively lower the temps in our warm climate, however I'm also aware that if the thermostat doesn't keep the hot coolant in the resevoir long enough, it may not have enough time to cool it sufficiently.

It'd make sense that Mugen offers these upgrades for those planning to use their ECU which adds a lot more ignition timing which contributes to increasing temps, however would it be a good thing to do on a car (like min) on a OEM ECU with just VAFC2?

88-90 degree temps are pretty average where I'm at...
Old 04-27-2004, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the spoon coolings mods...
more aggressive but same concept....
ill give u my honest opinion like u did with my turbo idea
for me it was not a good idea because mine was running too cool... for your mods i would not think itll help... i would just buy water wetter and water instead....
Old 04-27-2004, 05:09 AM

you guys r not drving hard enough
Old 04-27-2004, 06:10 AM

i plan on putting them on again when i go tracking with soon to be boost machine !!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:59 AM

all i can say is putting the thermo in is a PAIN, i have the mugen switch and thermo and im on stock ecu, after a long drive on a hot day the engine seems to be a little cooler then it used to be, the car heats up real fast now too
Old 04-27-2004, 10:16 AM

yeh i cut myself while putting in the thermo
Old 04-27-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "the thermostat doesn't keep the hot coolant in the resevoir (sic) long enough". The coolant in the reservoir is not circulated, so it is of no consequence. The Mugen thermostat allows adequate coolant flow through the radiator, and adequate duration to exchange heat into the air. The fan sw. turns the fan on sooner so the engine does not go through the heat cycles as dramatically. I thought the main objective was to allow the engine to be in closed-loop, while not getting so hot that timing is retarded by the ECM.

Plus, since oil temps generally run about 20degF above coolant temps under normal driving conditions, the Mugen allows the oil to reach the temperatures where any water in the oil will begin to evaporate out, and in addition, the additives in the oil that are heat-sensitive do their jobs, while reducing the deterioration of the oil by excessive heat.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Road Rage
Plus, since oil temps generally run about 20degF above coolant temps under normal driving conditions, the Mugen allows the oil to reach the temperatures where any water in the oil will begin to evaporate out, and in addition, the additives in the oil that are heat-sensitive do their jobs, while reducing the deterioration of the oil by excessive heat.
I haven't seen much data on the S2000's oil vs. coolant temps, but I would be surprised if there was only 20 deg F difference on the track. A friend of mine has a '98 Prelude SH that was running its oil almost 100 deg F higher than its coolant on the track. He runs it in SCCA ITS, so the engine and cooling system are fairly stock. I also think the cooling systems on both cars are similar.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When Marcucci installed my Hondata heatshield he also installed the Mugen thermostat and fan switch I had purchased. Seeing as though the coolant was going to have to be drained anyhow, it seemed like the perfect time. My car is bone stock aside from the heatshield, thermostat and fan switch and I instantly noticed the difference once they were in place. I can't say for certain whether they have been a "benefit" to the engine; but, I really like the increased throttle response and the engine definitely runs cooler. It takes a few minutes longer now, on cold days, for the third temp bar to show up on the gauge.

Marcucci explained to me that with those specific mods, and nothing else, that the car would have a propensity to run rich. He suggested that I get an intake and a VAFC to lean out the car a bit assuming his suspicions were correct. So, it sounds to me like you would be fine especially if you already have the VAFC. To be perfectly honest with you I've been running these mods now for over a year, without taking his advice and getting an intake and VAFC, and I've had no problems whatsoever. I've been meaning to get a VAFC or eManage to take care of the richness, assuming it exists, but I still haven't done so yet.

I do think he is correct in his estimation though. The first few months after doing the install the exhaust tips would get a bit darker than usual at a much quicker rate. If that's the case you should be in a perfect position for the cooling combo because you already have the VAFC to balance things out should something show itself.

If I had to do it over again I would. Although I'd like to take care of the tuning part, that I may or may not be missing, I'd much rather have my car run a bit rich than run a bit lean.

Just my .02
Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

honda606,

Do you work for the Department of Redundancy Department?