S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mugen thermostat: do I need Helm manual to do it myself?

Old 07-12-2001, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, my thermostat and thermoswitch are installed. The Helm manual doesn't give a torque value for the switch, so I put on some silicone sealer and torqued it to hand-tight. Thanks to cdelena for the tip on getting flexible ratchet and extensions -- it helped a lot.

One question for the experts: where the hell is that coolant drain bolt? It is supposed to be on the right side of the cylinders, but I couldn't find anything where the picture indicated that it should be. Anyone want to give me a hint where to find it, or even better, tell me that the little bit of old coolant left in the engine isn't important?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2001, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]where the hell is that coolant drain bolt?
Old 07-13-2001, 07:59 AM

Thanks, Prolene. Helms says that it is torqued to 60lbs; I don't know how anyone could get enough leverage to get the bolt on/off, so I am going to leave it alone.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:50 AM

you should be able to remove/install the tstat with just a 3'' extention and a 10mm or 12mm socket (it's one or the other) and a torque wrench. I had that digital craftsman torque wrench. the lever arm is real long so it was a piece of cake.

Don't forget to close you eyes when you pop that stock themostat off. trust me

when you install the new tstat make sure that the nipple of rubber gasket lines up on top with the pin. I'm not sure if this is critical but it's what i followed using the helms manual.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by swtazn97
you should be able to remove/install the tstat with just a 3'' extention and a 10mm or 12mm socket (it's one or the other) and a torque wrench.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:15 PM

Do you have to replace the thermostat gasket when you do this mod? Are there any seals/gaskets or other parts required to install the mugen thermostat and fan switch? I am almost positive I saw in another thread that I can't find now...that there are two other honda parts required to install these items. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sik -S,Aug 22 2004, 07:15 PM
Do you have to replace the thermostat gasket when you do this mod? Are there any seals/gaskets or other parts required to install the mugen thermostat and fan switch? I am almost positive I saw in another thread that I can't find now...that there are two other honda parts required to install these items. Any help would be appreciated.
The thermostat has a rubber seal and the fan switch has an O-ring. Both are supposed to be replaced.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 22 2004, 07:24 PM
The thermostat has a rubber seal and the fan switch has an O-ring. Both are supposed to be replaced.
After inspecting these two parts apparently the mugen thermostat and fan switch come with the seals pre-installed. So I guess no other parts are needed. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I re-used the original gaskets with no problems - one of the bolts is hard to get at - if you are not mechanically inclined and have a variety of quality metric tools and universals, I would let a pro or a trusted friend do it - make sure you orient the weep hole vertical.

P.S. I posted on the install a while back with some tips.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:18 PM

you should test the thermostat by submergining it in boiling water before you put it in...just in case you get a dud one
just my 2 bobs

Quick Reply: Mugen thermostat: do I need Helm manual to do it myself?