S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mugen Mods, How Much Power Did I Gain ?

Old 10-01-2003, 03:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Salaska
Old 10-01-2003, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Ouch" just read Ricks will not continue the 4.44 gears

Mmmh it seems i have to get 4.3 gears instead or is this a waste of money?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

According to the gear calculator, 4.56's will still give you about 153 mph. I think 4.3's is a waste of time and money. Just not enough of a difference. Of course, if you are insistent on 4.44's, you can still get the original J's gears, but the price will be almost double what Rick sells his for. Also, I've seen a couple of guys upgrading to 4.77 and have their 4.44's up for sale. I'm sure these will start turning up little by little now that those 4.56's are coming.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by smccurry
I'm not 'picking sides', but I do not race for a living, and merely autocross about once a month. I also have the Mugen mods in question, and I had the opportunity to race a stock S2000 (well, it only had a Spoon snorkel) and my car on the same track. The owner of the other S2000 and I switched rides during the fun runs, so I got 4 passes with each. THE DIFFERENCE WAS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY. Don't let the peak numbers fool you.
What will skew the results of my experience are that I have another significant mod that wasn't listed on Corleone's mod list, and that's the 4.44 gears. Nevertheless, the other S2000 driver and I both agreed that throttle response and power were 'very' significantly affected. We both achieved faster times with my car despite my car being on stock (and worn) S02's whereas his car had race rubber (I've gotta get me some of those too. What a difference in grip!).
I have had the pleasure of doing a similar comparison. My car is a MY2001 'stock' (front sway) and my friends car is a MY2003 'Mugen-modified' (Mugen I/H/E/ECU/radiator). So no gearing changes in the mix.

We drove our cars back to back on a autocross circuit and got very consistent results. We were within a few tenths when in the same car, but the Mugenised car was abt 2s quicker on a 55s track (for both! of us). The difference in how these cars feel during acceleration is HUGE, the Mugen car pulls a LOT harder and it is easier to be fast out of corners because of the extra torque 'under the curve'

IMHO the Mugenised car is a lot better than stock, it honestly is stronger throughout the rev-range, it is not overly loud and actually has a really nice engine sound/exhaust tone.

Are these mods worth it? The cost you will have to justify to yourself (or more importantly; to your wife/gf/partner/heirs/... ) anyone else should not really matter.

What I can say is, that after driving the Mugenised S2000 I've started looking for second-hand Mugen parts... UL, do you wanna sell your old header?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Unless your racing class or religion or whatever says stay NA, and you have an infinite amount of money, I can't see a justifiable benefit to Mugen products. Drivability, area under the curve, throttle response, cool stickers! Sure but look at the price! 5-7hp? The only place you are ever going to see that is on a dyno. The butt dyno isn't sensitive enough. It won't be measurable on the race track and it sure as heck won't be apparent in the 1/4 mile (racing for ADD sufferers).

Maybe others disagreee, but here's the telling quote:
Well, I for one, respectfully disagree with this "It won't be measurable on the race track...".

I have been racing a good friend for about a year and he has been consistently quicker than me. I've put this down to his better talent or my lack of.

However, when we traded cars, I was just as 'fast' as him when driving his car and he was just as 'slow' as me when he was driving my car. As I stated before, my car is a MY2001 'stock' (front sway) and my friends car is a MY2003 'Mugen-modified' (Mugen I/H/E/ECU/radiator). Both on R compound tires.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, I give in! I guess you can feel it on the track.

But I do stand by my belief that for the same price as a full house Mugen setup (IHE, ECU, etc) you can get an SC that you WILL feel on the track (and anywhere else you care to plant your foot).

And I realise it's not the 'Honda Way' but I'm and auto-atheist. If it goes hard it makes me hard!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by AusS2000
But I do stand by my belief that for the same price as a full house Mugen setup (IHE, ECU, etc) you can get an SC that you WILL feel on the track (and anywhere else you care to plant your foot).
I paid the money for a slew of Mugen parts after trying many others and am very pleased... I make changes to my car for my enjoyment not to gain bigger dyno numbers. A SC is IMO not at all in the same class of the Mugen changes which improve my enjoyment of the car everyday, at all rpm, not just at WOT 5K and up. And on the track you need to try both, the pull out of the corners is worth many times than the peak power.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:14 AM
mhc

i,am fitting an s2000 engine and gearbox in a westfield seiw. due to space requirements i,am unable to fit the standard exhaust system. it will still be 4.2.1 , but the 4 primaries will have to be longer to clear the body work, can any one give sizes and diameters that will still give good power? sorry if i have hijacked the thread but we are discussing exhausts
Old 11-12-2003, 09:57 AM

mhc - you have pm
Old 11-12-2003, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
What happened to "You get what you pay for?"

Quick Reply: Mugen Mods, How Much Power Did I Gain ?