S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mugen Installation Report -Part 1- (long with many pics!)

Old 02-25-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have the OEM exhaust ?
How much hp do you expect with this set-up ?
I know that when you change the thermostat and the fan switch it makes the engine run cooler, but does it increase hp ?
Is it realy necessary to change the radiator cap ?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2003, 07:06 PM

Salaska, great job on the car! You will definitely feel the header along with your other mods. Would love to hear about your Mugen ECU when you put that on later.

I just installed the Mugen exhaust yesterday and LOVE the sound. It's just right! It has a deep sound but not loud.

The Mugen header just by itself was a great mod! I look forward to adding the thermostat, switch and cap later, without the coolant shower of course.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:44 PM

camerons2000: have u ever took your car and seen what it runs at the QM?
Not yet.

t.c.: Do you still have the OEM exhaust ?
No, i am using a exhaust from a german tuner called TSS-Tuning. It sounds like the Comptech one. But as soon as i have get the money together i will buy a Mugen Exhaust to complete the kit.

t.c.: How much hp do you expect with this set-up ?
On King Motorsports Website, they say 15 hp increase, but i mostly look for an increase in the lower/mid range.

t.c.: I know that when you change the thermostat and the fan switch it makes the engine run cooler, but does it increase hp ?
I think not, that this mods increase hp, but they are necessary if you want to put in a Mugen ECU.

t.c.: Is it realy necessary to change the radiator cap ?
The Mugen Radiator Cap has a higher compression (1.3) as the stock one (1.1). I am not sure if the cap is necessary, but Scott at King Motorsports told me that i have i use all three coolant mods (thermostat, radiator cap and fanswitch)
Old 02-26-2003, 07:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Salaska
[B]
Old 02-26-2003, 10:57 AM

Just another pic i took today. The fresh wasched back of my "babe" with the Mugen equipped sticker.

Old 02-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do all cars in Germany have that 4th light under the license plate? Is it another brake light?

I think the radiator cap will be necessary. The cooler switch and thermostat don't increase cooling capacity. They just make it start working sooner. The higher pressure radiator cap does actually improve cooling capacity (by some amount), which is necessary to reduce the normal operating temperature of the coolant. There is a lot of debate about whether the OEM radiator can really keep the coolant cooler, even with the high pressure radiator cap.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:16 PM

gernby: Do all cars in Germany have that 4th light under the license plate? Is it another brake light?
Yes in Germany all cars have this 4th light. It is a bright fog light, which can be turned on at heavy rain or fog as signal for other cars behind.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:24 PM

I am asking myself this question : This engine ( like any engine ) is design to run at certain temp. because of the thermal ( dilatation ) ( not sure of the term ) isn't it bad to run it cooler ?
I mean i never see more than 3 bar on the temperature even when i am on the traffic at 90 degrees or if i push the car hardly for an extended time.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by t.c.
[B]I am asking myself this question : This engine ( like any engine ) is design to run at certain temp.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Salaska
[B]

Quick Reply: Mugen Installation Report -Part 1- (long with many pics!)