S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mugen ECU vs. Spoon ECU ?

Old 08-23-2005, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any dyno plots showing the different power gains?? I would really like to see how much power can be made with an aftermarket ecu...also please make a note of the mods you ran with each dyno run...

many people like myself are skeptical about buying an ecu when u can just buy the aem ems and possibly make more power...BTW i am aware of the costs including tuning & even finding a good tuner
Old 08-23-2005, 09:01 PM

^^ id also like to see dyno's i want to see where the gains are.

always hear about s2k's not making much power (peaky) but how much gain is there everywhere else.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by AJ PwR,Aug 23 2005, 10:21 PM

I have done a comparision between Mugen ECU and J's ECU. Mugen ECU makes about 4whp over J's but J's adjusted the VTEC to kick in earlier and that part at the mid-range gained 14whp over Mugen.
with that statement j's > mugen.. lol....

what was the I/H/E setup on this comparison?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

This is getting very complicated...

As you know, my car is bone stock, but I wanted to buy an after market ECU,
1. To get rid of my speed limiter (180km/h)
2. To Lower the Vtec point
3. To get a little more power from my engine against a stock car.

I was thinking of going for the AEM EMS, but I'm not sure that this will be able to get rid of the speed limiter and adjust my Vtec point.
Another thing is that no one in my area is good enough to play with this thing.... and I'm afraid that I will loose power instead of gaining.

So I bet I have to choose between Mugen and J's
Old 08-23-2005, 11:58 PM

ummm speed limiter?? our cars don't come with a speed limiter to my knowledge.. or at least the ones in the US...

as for the AEM EMS.... it's a complete stand alone engine management system so it'll do everything you want it to do and more...(you will have to find yourself a tuner).. .if you get the AEM EMS you toss your stock oem ecu onto a shelf in your garage and never look at it again...
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Xd

Hi guys, been lurking on this thread. The Mugen ECU was the last link in the Mugen chain for me. I have installed the Mugen CAI, Manifold, Exhaust plus the cooling mods. These all gave a good gain on the stock car giving it a bit more torque at the lower end. FInally I installed the Mugen ECU a decat plus some posh plugs, I was concerned about installing the ECU because of all the in large capitals RACING ONLY stamped on everything concerning it. After talking to people on several threads about this I found that the mainreasons where knocking sensor is disabled and it could burn out the cat, hence cat removal. No knocking sensor would mean the ECU would not retard the timing if knocking occured and was the main reason why it needs a high octane fuel. Anyhoot I went ahead with installing the ECU in my car knowing I could run it on a decent fule like shell Optimax and have tried get the car to knock in several encouraging conditions without success. I know it doesn't mean it not there, it just being shy.
The gains I have had from this are in my opinion worth it, the car is more responsive from standing and drivable throughout the rev range. I still have in the back of my mind if the car is being screwed by a 98 octane (UK) fuel so my next purchase is a aftermarket knocking sensor that can sit on the dashboard to tell me when things are going BAD. Can't live without the ECU though I am hooked .
Old 08-24-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Aug 23 2005, 11:58 PM
ummm speed limiter?? our cars don't come with a speed limiter to my knowledge.. or at least the ones in the US...

as for the AEM EMS.... it's a complete stand alone engine management system so it'll do everything you want it to do and more...(you will have to find yourself a tuner).. .if you get the AEM EMS you toss your stock oem ecu onto a shelf in your garage and never look at it again...
My S2000 is a JDM model (Japan Spec) and it has a speed limiter of 180km/h.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=Tango
Old 08-29-2005, 06:42 PM

I'ved run a Mugen intake, exhaust, header, ecu, & themostat for three years and have been troublefree. They change the the personality of the car (better midrange and higher rpm limiter) ,but you have to use high octane gas (I can get Sunoco94 localy).
Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 AM

I'm going to install the Mugen ECU (complete with ther. cap. switch) with the de cat (Megan) and I will let you know the result...

Quick Reply: Mugen ECU vs. Spoon ECU ?