S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MUGEN ECU and sensors

Old 04-03-2005, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up MUGEN ECU and sensors

To all my mugen experts out there...
I have a couple of questions. What sensors does the MUGEN ECU ignore besides the secondary O2 sensor on the cat converter and the immobilizer? I noticed that on the manual (all in japanese ) it mentioned 4-5 sensors with the word "CUT" next to it.

The S seems to love this new toy

P.S.

I had to wire the fuel pump directly to the ignition... do you guys in the US have the same problem? The stock ECU makes the fuel pump work.. this doesn't!
Old 04-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't have any problems with the fuel pump.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It also ignores the air pump circuit, the knock sensor, and cuts the JDM speed limiter. I have seen several installed without any issue with fuel, normally it is a simply swap and drive away.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

No fuel pump cut noted.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:11 AM

Could the european stock ECU be different then the USDM one ? Here in Italy with both the MUGEN and SPOON ECUs you need to bypass the fuel pump and wire it directly to the ignition circuit. This means that when the key is in the ON position (dash lights up) you need to start the engine right away because the fuel pump keeps sending fuel to the engine and if you don't damage can occur to the circuit. With the stock ECU when the key is in the ON position, the fuel pump turns on for a few secs, pressurizes the system and the shuts off (until the engine is started).

In regards to the sensors, knock sensor is not a big issue (just use proper octane fuel) but what about the AIR PUMP sensor? does this mean that the air pump STAYS OFF?! If I remember correctly the air pump is necessary on cold starts to inject fresh air into the exhaust (to reduce emissions). Are there any consequences? My car pollutes more?

Just curious to know .... sorry if I'm being too long! Thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardog,Apr 3 2005, 07:11 AM
Could the european stock ECU be different then the USDM one ? Here in Italy with both the MUGEN and SPOON ECUs you need to bypass the fuel pump and wire it directly to the ignition circuit. This means that when the key is in the ON position (dash lights up) you need to start the engine right away because the fuel pump keeps sending fuel to the engine and if you don't damage can occur to the circuit. With the stock ECU when the key is in the ON position, the fuel pump turns on for a few secs, pressurizes the system and the shuts off (until the engine is started).

In regards to the sensors, knock sensor is not a big issue (just use proper octane fuel) but what about the AIR PUMP sensor? does this mean that the air pump STAYS OFF?! If I remember correctly the air pump is necessary on cold starts to inject fresh air into the exhaust (to reduce emissions). Are there any consequences? My car pollutes more?

Just curious to know .... sorry if I'm being too long! Thanks
Interesting information. I usually wait for the fuel pump to shutoff prior to pushing the start button, it allows me time to double check the seatbelt and with a small battery it allows more for the starter.

With regards to pollution the cold engine startup is when the cat is not up to temp and there is increased emissions. The air pump speeds the cats heat up process so it becomes more effective quickly.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardog,Apr 3 2005, 09:11 AM
..but what about the AIR PUMP sensor? does this mean that the air pump STAYS OFF?! .
Apparently the air pump operates normally if present and fully connected, but if removed or disconnected a CEL is not generated.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=gerardog,Apr 3 2005, 07:11 AM] Could the european stock ECU be different then the USDM one
Old 04-03-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fitted to UK car and no problems with fuel pump wiring.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:00 AM

When I took the car to have the MUGEN ECU plugged in, the car would not start! I doubt that Honda makes a special version of the S2000 just for Italy!
Could this have anything to do with the IMMOBILIZER: no immobilizer, no fuel pump.

I would love to figure out this mistery!

Quick Reply: MUGEN ECU and sensors