S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mugen ECU Installed

Old 07-06-2002, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input and driving impressions of the Mugen ECU. I have never really even considered this mod, but it seems worthy indeed. Actually I was just wondering if you've noticed any change in the way your car drives as it heats up? You know how on the stock ECU it runs terrific when cool, and like a dog once hot.

Thanks again

Chris
Old 07-07-2002, 10:17 AM

Chris, well it certainly has been hot enough here to notice. The Mugen ECU does not seem to retard the ignition timing nearly as much as the stock ECU. Of course, there are a couple other variables that contribute to the timing equation. I use only 94 octane Sunoco gas, but since I've had the ECU I also have been burning 100 octane Sunoco "Race Gas". The Mugen rad cap, fan switch which turns on the fans at a lower temp than the stock switch, and the lower temp thermostat all contribute something to keeping the engine cooler and with the good gas there's less chance detonation will cause the ECU to retard the spark. Also, I have an Injen long snorkel CAI on the car so hopefully, I'm putting air in that's a few degrees colder than what's under the hood. So, the answer to your question is that there is less power lost to heat effects, but for several different reasons, not only the ECU.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:43 PM

All valid points. I have a similar setup to you, except the injen intake. I also have the Hondata insulator. I am just wondering about the ECU overall. I am a Spoon person myself. I tend to stay brand loyal, so I would probably swing toward their ECU. To be honest, I am just wondering if the ECU is a worthy upgrade, and more recently I am beginning to think that it is.

Chris
Old 07-08-2002, 04:59 AM

What makes a mod a worthy investment? For me it's a mod that enhances either measureable performance or my enjoyment of the car. Whether the Injen CAI adds measureable power to my engine or not, that mod was worthy to me for the sound it makes at VTEC. The ECU will, I believe, add measureable power when I get it on the dyno, but the enhanced pleasure I derive from driving the car after the install is worth it by itself.
I'm sure both the Spoon and Mugen ECUs do basically the same things to engine management, although a head to head comparo on the same car would be interesting...don't know if anyone has done it though?
Old 07-08-2002, 06:28 AM

I haven't done a search on the Spoon ECU and honestly I dont know anyone who is actually running it. It would be interesting though.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:32 AM

I'd like to see a comparison of the Mugen N1 ECU against an OEM ECU w/ a VAFC. Most of the necessary settings that the Mugen ECU changes can be done with a simple piggyback SFC. I'm glad that you got your parts, but for the price that you're spending on all this Mugen gear, I can't see a situation where you would be unbiased in your assessment of it's results.

I'm always up to spend for some high quality products, but buying these overpriced ECUs seems wasteful to me. All these thing do is the age-old tuner's methodology of getting power: run it rich. Honda could have easily gained a couple more horses by doing so, but the LEV rating was an important factor in the design of the S2000. To each their own, I know; just saying that for ALL the money you spent on Mugen's simple and (IMHO) overpriced bolt-ons (yes just simple bolt-ons), you could have built up the top end of your motor and ran a custom ECU that would blow away the effect of ALL your Mugen parts combined (even if you built the top end and still ran stock header & exhaust).

I've been down the road of going "all Mugen" just for the sake of it. It's an expensive and disappointing road.. a road less travelled for a reason.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:39 AM

The A/C doesn't work w/ the Spoon ECU
Old 07-08-2002, 09:03 AM

Secret AP1,
Thanks for the input. Your points are definately worth merit. I have been down the other road you speak of. My engine is definately built and I was running the EMS. I eventually got rid of the EMS and now I'm just running the stock ECU with the Vafc. I honestly like the car more when it's closer to stock. Maybe that's just me.

I didnt know the Spoon ECU wouldnt work the A/C. Dang.

Chris
Old 07-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

For the record......the Mugen ECU leans out the mixture not richen it. So the methodology of run it rich does not hold true.

See how peoples exhaust tips go much lighter of a color and not said here but seen it in action.........better gas milage even at WOT!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]For the record......the Mugen ECU leans out the mixture not richen it.

Quick Reply: Mugen ECU Installed