S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mugen ECU Installed

Old 07-05-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen ECU Installed

Finally got my Mugen ECU. Easy install (if you're a gymnast) and a world of difference. Didn't run it on the dyno as it's been over 100 degrees F all week here. Will wait until a day in the 80s and do a couple pulls. BUT...I will go out on a limb and say that the butt dyno thinks it makes serious power. I am usually very conservative about these performance mods -- and have been critical in the past about money spent without results -- but the ECU makes more power lower in the RPM range, lowers the VTEC engagement RPM, raises the red line to 9000 and has much more pull on the top end. I won't rave until I put it on the dyno, but I am conservatively optimistic that this mod has made all the others finally worth it. It feels and sounds like a totally different car in fact. My exhaust tips have gone from sooty black to a nice dark grey and this tank of gas seems to be lasting forever. I am very lucky that there is a Sunoco with a 100 octane "Race Gas" pump only about 20 miles from me, and I'm going over there tomorrow to fill it up...only $3.75/gal. More as soon as we have a relatively cool day here in Maryland.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:19 PM

two questions for you regarding the ECU. Do you know what it lowered the Vtec engagement to? Also, you said it raised the rev limit to 9000. I thought stock was 9200.. Maybe I am mistaken?

Chris
Old 07-05-2002, 11:50 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Well now would have been the BEST time to dyno the car...............since the ECU defeats all of the temp and other O2 sensors and things that retard timing. You could see how much the stock ecu retards timing and then run the Mugen ecu to see how much your gaining in the heat!!!!

I will tell ya my car was a slug in the 102 and 90 percent humidity.............almost stalled my car.

Oh and from what I have been told the rev limits and I know for a fact that the Vtec is the same.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:38 AM

I have one installed on my car with other Mugen bits and the Mugen instructions that came with the ECU state the V-Tec engagment and rev limit are the same as stock, saying that though it is a changed car with the Mugen set up.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Mugen ECU on my car for quite a bit until I had to let it go.
So let's clarify few things.
As few of us pointed out, Mugen ECU does not change stock VTEC engagement nor rev-limit.
Although I am glad that you are enjoying so much that it felt like it.

It feels pretty good at low rev range, it certainly won't bog like before and you can really pull harder noticeably but It is subtle(still good).
At the drag strip, I only blipped the throttle to 2K and without any bog and was able to spin the tires away and achieved 14' flat with hitting rev-limiter twice.

I am afraid to say though, you may be little disappointed when you put it on the dyno.
If you had done baseline run before, there may be too little difference to see between two curves.

If I haven't gone forced induction than, the ECU would've been still in my car.
I really loved the ECU combined with final gear change.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:10 PM

too much $ for too little benefits and gains... NOS is key!!
Old 07-06-2002, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my old photos.

Limiter is same 9000 and VTEC is described as unchanged.
Does the included spec sheet same as the photo above?
Old 07-06-2002, 02:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]Well now would have been the BEST time to dyno the car...............since the ECU defeats all of the temp and other O2 sensors and things that retard timing.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:49 PM

Does the A/C work w/ the ecu?
Old 07-06-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by speeeding
Does the A/C work w/ the ecu?
The air con works just fine, but as expected cuts off a few seconds after you floor the throttle pedal. Usually, I don't have the A/C on when I'm exploring the engine's capabilities though. I have observed no/no adverse or negative changes after the Mugen ECU install, not even the dreaded "Check Engine Light". It fired up as normal and has run perfectly. What I have observed is that the higher octane the gas in the tank, the more willing to rev the engine.

Quick Reply: Mugen ECU Installed