S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

mugen cai install

Old 02-06-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mugen cai install

so, i am the worst DIY person in the world, but i was determined to do this on my own, so naturally i have some questions now on my sloppy install.

i was not able to align these two holes with the provided brackets.

so, first question, has this happened to any of you other owners? do i really need to go re-drill my crossbar to try to get this to line up. if not i will just let it slide, it seems pretty well placed right not though.

NEXT.
since the instructions were written in japanese, and the illustrations looked like they were drawn by children from the special olympics, i could not figure out where these things were supposed to take play during the install. i mostly wonder about the little spring item.

i am not so worried about this next item as it just looks like it is some protector, but i couldn't figure out where the hell it was supposed to go.

finally, i was using a garage defend radiator plate before, i lost my stock air guide and now i have the mugen cai with no radiator plate or air guide. i have a plate on order but it will take 30 business days to get to me. will i be fine without any type of air guide here for the next month. or should i got to home depot and try to figure something out.

thanks guys.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

what it says in Japanese is:

"do not even try this if you use meth".

What is the deal with your screen name?!?

(edit by XV - no need to quote with all the pics intact, especially if you're not helping him out.)
Old 02-06-2005, 09:47 PM

what is the deal with anyone's screen name. i don't think i have the worst one of the bunch. if you can tell me where these damn pieces go, especially that little spring, cuz i know it is not supposed to still be in that plastic bag, i will tell you what my screen name is.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Please stay on topic and help him out or don't bother.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed mine a couple of years ago, so the memory is rusty. The first black plastic thing is a zip tie. This is meant to secure the group of wires that were previously running along the back of the stock airbox, to the stock rubber intake tube. You don't want this wire grouping to stray into the alternator belt.

The long silver spring is supposed to be wrapped around the end of the stock intake rubber hose at the front (where it connects to the aluminum intake bell). You'll see 2 grooves, connect it to the one closest to the end of the hose. Wrap around this groove and connect the ends.

The black rubber molding is meant to be applied along the back of the front bumper assembly, where the front of the cf intake will make contact with the metal. It's just insulation to keep the cf from rubbing against the metal.

My instructions aren't very clear. Let me know if you want me to try and take some pics and I can post them up tomorrow for you.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is desirable to have the front supports installed. If they are just a hair off you can loosen the other mounts, get all bolts inserted and started, and tighten slowly and evenly on all fasteners. Or you may want to bent the mounts a little to get the holes to line up. If you leave them off the movement of the intake, slight as it may be, will be born on the lower mount which may eventually break.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:55 AM

Hi,
you should definately install the radiator cover! If air is not "guided" to the CAI it just won't function the way it was designed to and your car will not benefit from it at all. I would also make sure to have those front brackets installed.. i know it's a PITA but you don't want that expensive CAI to crack do you?

Have fun
Old 02-07-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by smccurry' date='Feb 7 2005, 02:12 AM
The long silver spring is supposed to be wrapped around the end of the stock intake rubber hose at the front (where it connects to the aluminum intake bell). You'll see 2 grooves, connect it to the one closest to the end of the hose. Wrap around this groove and connect the ends.
ok guys, thanks for the help. i will re-install this thing tonite if i am not too tired. and smccurry, your intructions were very clear. but i might request a pic of where that spring goes, i'll pm you later if i need that pic as i will check it out first. i have tied everything down as far as loose cables/lines, so that is all good. i believe i have devised a technique to attach the 2 brackets in front, i will let you guys know.

thanks
mark d.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:48 PM

I was just curious how the install turned out and what kind of gains you see/feel with the cai. I love that intake because it is a work of art, but it is expensive and I haven't really heard anything about the type of power gains that can be obtained from it.

Also if it is not the only power adder that you have for the car what are the other performance parts that you have for it?

I'm just curious to know because I just got a 2005 s2 in late January and I see you have the 04.

Thanks,
Peace
Old 03-12-2005, 05:39 PM

since the instructions were written in japanese, and the illustrations looked like they were drawn by children from the special olympics

that was way to funny !!!!!!! Where is the bracket supposed to go in the front do you have any new pics with the info you got here?

Quick Reply: mugen cai install