S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mouse Wire Was Cut [photo]

Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse Wire Was Cut [photo]

Howdy,

Ive been getting a P0118 code as was going to order a new sensor and when I looked under the hood, I noticed this wire was eaten through or cut. Does this have anything to deal with the coolant temperature sensor it or is it something different?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7d...ew?usp=sharing <- in case the embed image didn't work.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

here is the coolant temperature sensor

Originally Posted by Billman250
CTS is on the rear of the intake manifold. you can see a little blue arrow pointing to it.

the picture you posted is the vtec solenoid. that wire definitely needs to be reattached but im not sure how or if that would correlate with your code. i'll let someone else chime in there.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Two completely different things.

The cut wire is to the vtec solenoid, so with out it, the motor will not have vtec engaged.

The code point to wether a bad connection on the temp sensor or bad temp sensor.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

You also need to do something about the vermin. More wires will be chewed through, perhaps a nest will be found in the air intake. They can cause serious damage.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!

Yea i found 3 more wires that were chewed through!! UHG.

I can't find the nest. My intake was replaced out to a K&N kit. I'll have to get it on a lift and keep searching.

I'll try the mothballs, lemon spray and set a whole bunch of traps with peanut butter to get rid of them.

I'm open to all suggestions as he did quite a good amount of damage this winter. Gotta get rid of them somehow.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrvcruz1
Thanks guys!

Yea i found 3 more wires that were chewed through!! UHG.

I can't find the nest. My intake was replaced out to a K&N kit. I'll have to get it on a lift and keep searching.

I'll try the mothballs, lemon spray and set a whole bunch of traps with peanut butter to get rid of them.

I'm open to all suggestions as he did quite a good amount of damage this winter. Gotta get rid of them somehow.
Traditional traps with pb work well, but have to be set and reset. An alternative is the sticky trays. One mouse getting stuck apparently does not deter another from touching it. Either kind of trap works in trunk or cabin, but sticky tray is easier to place in the engine compartment. Also easier to take out when you use the car, because you can place two of them face to face to store until you return.

Put traps in the garage and under the car too. Once you get the current culprits, it usually takes a while for new ones to show up, and that's usually in cold weather.

Febreze is good for the urine smell in carpet and you can squirt it into the inside air intake to draw it through the HVAC.

I live in the country, and I don't drive the car every day. Sometimes not for a couple weeks. I've had field mice chew though, then get inside the hood liner, and like you have lost wires. Stripped all the "felt" insulation from my trunk above the fuel tank and the front bulkhead to build nests. Only glue and a few threads remain. Nests were in the truck tool tray, behind the trunk lining, and in HVAC. They went through the console from trunk to dash, which is where where the wires were cut. Both seatbelt sensor wires to the airbag controller, hand brake indicator on dash and another wire not used on my car.

Did you know that the S2000 has a tiny pet door just right for mice? There is a perfectly sized passage into the trunk with a rubber flap over it. I assume it's part of positive ventilation system. In the back wall of the truck, behind the liner. Comes out under the rear bumper cover, left of license plate.

Our other cars have been hit too. On my wife's Miata we had to disassemble the dash vents to vacuum out all of the nest material. My pickup gets hit more often. It sits under a carport rather than garage. Lost the entire hood liner for example, twice. Nests in center console and in the storage bins behind the back seats dash and of course hvac. Chewed part way through both rear seat belts inside the boots around the reels.

Traps all the time is all I can suggest. And don't slack off when you get rid of the current crop. Easy to forget. Get the first one before the family can move in.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn guys, time for a few outdoor cats!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Damn guys, time for a few outdoor cats!
I know you're joking, but there is no good time for outdoor (domestic) cats, assuming you mean roaming free. Especially true if you are running a habitat restoration project. google search

But a cat confined in the garage, even just at night, would probably work.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Time article:
The authors discovered that the majority of kills could be attributed to ownerless cats, including barn cats, strays and feral colonies. The research showed that the animals largely prey on non-native mice and rats in densely populated urban areas, while in rural areas they target mice, shrews, voles, squirrels and even rabbits.
Sounds like they're effective at eliminating vermin, which is exactly the problem at hand. But we don't need to veer way off topic here, just my perspective and how I've seen the issue dealt with everywhere from a sprawling auto shop to farms & barns. To each their own
Old 04-06-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming

From Time article:
The authors discovered that the majority of kills could be attributed to ownerless cats, including barn cats, strays and feral colonies. The research showed that the animals largely prey on non-native mice and rats in densely populated urban areas, while in rural areas they target mice, shrews, voles, squirrels and even rabbits.
An operation this size, you have to expect some losses.