S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Motul Gear 300 75W90, any experiences?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastS2k
I have a bottle of gear 300 and was wondering if it was safe to use in the diff.
I think that the consensus is that the diff is fine. I'm asking about using it in the transmission.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
I recommend that you stay with a MTF or MTL for synchronized transmissions. If the Motul 75W-90 is a GL5, then it may have EP additives that will attack yellow metals in your tranny. If you want to try a 75W-90 gear oil, then look for a GL4 rated product.

INDYMAC: According to their product description on Amazon:

This lubricant is specially designed for speed way, rally, raid racing vehicle gearboxes such as all mechanical transmission, synchronized or not synchronized gearboxes, gearbox / differential, transfer gearboxes and hypoïd differentials without limited slip system operating under shocks, heavy loads and low revolution speed or moderate loads and high revolution speed. The 100 percent synthetic extreme pressure lubricant provides an efficient anti wear protection, a better resistance at high temperature and a longer life time. The 0 percentage shear loss results in a unshearable oil film in extreme conditions. IT stays in 90 grade after KRL 20 hours shear test as requested by SAE J306 Standard, July 1998 update. The very high lubricating power decreases friction and wear. IT stays at 90 grade at hot temperatures to provide outstanding oil film resistance at hot temperature and / or to reduce transmission noise. The fluid remains at low temperatures to allow easier gear shifting when the gearbox is cold thus less effort is required on the gear lever to shift the gears. It is suitable for any type of seal and yellow material used in gearboxes design and has anti-corrosion and anti-foam properties.
Motul Gear 300 is a GL5, but maybe it has no sulfur?

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Motul-3178CZ-S.../dp/B004LEWIBA
Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It probably does have S, but at a reduced rate (like GL4). Borate esters are now being used by some formulators to allow for this lowering of S in the EP additive package. I would contact Motul just to make sure it won't hurt your brass synchro's.

You do realize that Honda MTF II is actually a MTL (7.6 cSt at 100C) fluid. That's probably why you are experiencing some concerns with high heat. I did too here in Texas last summer. Amsoil MTF is a true MTF with a 9.6 cSt at 100C. That's what I would try next (and have) instead of the 75W-90. Redline also makes a MT90 as well as Amsoil MTG 75W-90 GL4. They are all possible safe alternatives.
But if you decide to try the Motul 300 in your tranny, please report back with your experience. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by modMonkey
Has anyone used Motul Gear 300 in their transmission and care to share their impressions. I've used Amsoil MTF in the past, which worked well, but looking to try Motul's offering.

Edit: Motul Gear 300 is safe to use in the differential, but I'm asking about using it in the transmission given that it is a GL5.

From Turner Motorsports:

This MOTUL SAE 75W90 gearbox and differential fluid is a 100% synthetic ester based oil, which can be used in tranmissions and rear differentials under all conditions of use -- street, track and racing. This oil has proved its qualities and resistance to extreme conditions. Turner Motorsport uses MOTUL fluids in our own championship winning BMW race cars, as well as our own personal street-drive vehciles. We would not hesitate to use this MOTUL 75W-90 GEAR 300 gear oil on our own personal vehicles, and neither should you. Be sure to check your owners manual before selecting oil products for street applications. This is a 1 liter bottle, so be sure to order enough for your specific application. API GL-5. MIL-L-2105D.

It's okay to use but this is better Motylgear 10w-40
Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC' timestamp='1329305808' post='21416237
[quote name='c32b' timestamp='1329280299' post='21415725']
[quote name='modMonkey' timestamp='1329205290' post='21412656']
Has anyone used Motul Gear 300 in their transmission and care to share their impressions. I've used Amsoil MTF in the past, which worked well, but looking to try Motul's offering.

Religiously used Gear300 in my gearbox beginning from my 2nd oil change. UOA at the 3 year mark (which includes about 80K kms of street driving and track days) was excellent with little wear apparent. I would highly recommend it.
Did your UOA show how much sulphur this gear oil contains? Please post your UOA for us.
[/quote]

Yes, same question. Can you post the UOA?
[/quote]

Will check on UOA and try to post asap.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM

It probably does have S, but at a reduced rate (like GL4). Borate esters are now being used by some formulators to allow for this lowering of S in the EP additive package. I would contact Motul just to make sure it won't hurt your brass synchro's.

You do realize that Honda MTF II is actually a MTL (7.6 cSt at 100C) fluid. That's probably why you are experiencing some concerns with high heat. I did too here in Texas last summer. Amsoil MTF is a true MTF with a 9.6 cSt at 100C. That's what I would try next (and have) instead of the 75W-90. Redline also makes a MT90 as well as Amsoil MTG 75W-90 GL4. They are all possible safe alternatives.
But if you decide to try the Motul 300 in your tranny, please report back with your experience. Thanks.
Ah ok. Great info, I did not know that about Honda MTF. I've tried Amsoil MTF, which allowed me to get maybe 1-2 more hot laps before having the same issues. The biggest difference after filling with Amsoil was how smooth cold shifting became, I had no idea it would make such a big difference.

Forgive my ignorance, but my knowledge of oils is very limited:

1. MTL vs MTF?
2. A standard MTF vs one rated at 75W-90
3. Does the gear oil viscosity rating follow the SAE convention of engine oils?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by niahuynh
Originally Posted by modMonkey' timestamp='1329205290' post='21412656

Edit: Motul Gear 300 is safe to use in the differential, but I'm asking about using it in the transmission given that it is a GL5.

From Turner Motorsports:

This MOTUL SAE 75W90 gearbox and differential fluid is a 100% synthetic ester based oil, which can be used in tranmissions and rear differentials under all conditions of use -- street, track and racing. This oil has proved its qualities and resistance to extreme conditions. Turner Motorsport uses MOTUL fluids in our own championship winning BMW race cars, as well as our own personal street-drive vehciles. We would not hesitate to use this MOTUL 75W-90 GEAR 300 gear oil on our own personal vehicles, and neither should you. Be sure to check your owners manual before selecting oil products for street applications. This is a 1 liter bottle, so be sure to order enough for your specific application. API GL-5. MIL-L-2105D.

It's okay to use but this is better Motylgear 10w-40
Thanks, I'll research this one as well. Any particular reasons as to why it's better vs Gear 300? I noticed it has a GL-4 rating as well, but it is not a full synthetic?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC' timestamp='1329341894' post='21418212

Ah ok. Great info, I did not know that about Honda MTF. I've tried Amsoil MTF, which allowed me to get maybe 1-2 more hot laps before having the same issues. The biggest difference after filling with Amsoil was how smooth cold shifting became, I had no idea it would make such a big difference.

1. MTL vs MTF?
Just to keep things simple, I'll give you an engine oil equivalency rating:

MTL= SAE20, MTF= SAE30, 75W-90= SAE40/50

API doesn't categorize MTF, MTL, ATF and ATL with SAE viscosity ratings to my knowledge like they do for engine oils and gear oils. They just give 100C Kv ranges in centistokes or SUS.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by modMonkey' timestamp='1329356930' post='21418964
[quote name='INDYMAC' timestamp='1329341894' post='21418212']

1. MTL vs MTF?
Just to keep things simple, I'll give you an engine oil equivalency rating:

MTL= SAE20, MTF= SAE30, 75W-90= SAE40/50

API doesn't categorize MTF, MTL, ATF and ATL with SAE viscosity ratings to my knowledge like they do for engine oils and gear oils. They just give 100C Kv ranges in centistokes or SUS.
[/quote]

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 AM

I decided to pull some K viscosity at 100C and TAN numbers from VOA's done by OAI Labs. They might help you realize that there a lot of options out there.

Honda MTF II 7.5 cSt/3.7 TAN
Amsoil MTF 9.3/2.38
BG Synchroshift 8.3/2.95
BMW MTF-LT2 7.5/0.68
BMW MTF-LT3 6.1/0.70
Elf Tranself TRJ 8.6/3.68
Ford Synthetic MTF 14.5/3.33
GMSM non-FM 9.2/3.94
Redline MTL 10.1/5.42

Quick Reply: Motul Gear 300 75W90, any experiences?