S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

motot oil and filter

Old 07-23-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motot oil and filter

I just got me some Mobil 1 10w 30 oil is that good oil and its the one that has a green cap.... i know stupid question but i just wanna know if this the oil the mostly everybody here is using... oh yeah it also came with the mobil 1 oil filter has anyone used that filter..on there s2k... sorry for the bad grammer didn't sleep yet just go off work so yeah kind of wierd and tired at the same time....aww yeah anyways i factory oil filter coming so yeah i get them 2 for 10 from my uncle and i wondering if thats a deal...okay laters time for me 2 sleep
Old 07-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All your oil questions and more are answered here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=195574
Old 07-23-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVSwetwilly,Jul 23 2004, 11:01 AM
I just got me some Mobil 1 10w 30 oil is that good oil and its the one that has a green cap.... i know stupid question but i just wanna know if this the oil the mostly everybody here is using... oh yeah it also came with the mobil 1 oil filter has anyone used that filter..on there s2k... sorry for the bad grammer didn't sleep yet just go off work so yeah kind of wierd and tired at the same time....aww yeah anyways i factory oil filter coming so yeah i get them 2 for 10 from my uncle and i wondering if thats a deal...okay laters time for me 2 sleep
I hope you got a lot of sleep, as that post was hard to read. Who knows what "everyone" does, but I will try to give you a short answer.

There are many great oils out there today. And the fact is, that today's "regular" oils are so advanced that for many people, synoils are not needed, and wasteful if you stick to the old 3000 mile change interval. In the last 20 years, mineral oil technology has advanced tremendously, while synoil advancment has been less so, and now seems to be marketed to car owners with special interests (sports cars, expensive luxo cars, etc).

Example: Motorcraft 10w30 is made by Conoco for Ford. It contains hydrocracked Group III base stocks, which could be called synthetic, as Castrol established when it was sued by Texaco for calling its Group III Syntec a synthetic. For way less than $2/quart (about $2.50 less than Mobil1 1), you get a terrific lubricant.

For even less, one can use Havoline (Chevron Supreme), and it is consistently excellent for drain intervals of about 5k miles.

Mobil1 is a mid-tier synoil; comparable to others at its price point, but perhaps not the last word in additive technology, nor the highest ingredients to allow for the longest extended drain intervals. It is excellent, easy to source, and has good quality control so you get what you pay for.

Then there are the super-grades of synthetics. Many are designed for racing, and use plenty of expensive Group V base stocks, usually di-esters or polyol-esters. Mobil 1 R is one of them, Red Line, another. Motul still another. They are expensive and hatrder to source. Mobil also makes a "HD synoil" callled Delvac1, which is grreat for extending drain intervals, as it has a robust add pack.

The, there are the specialty oil companies, like Swepco, Lubrication Engineers, and Spectrol. Most (all) are from Texas, and aim at the professional trucker (OTR) and industrial libriant market. But they also make great lubes for passengers cars. My favorite is LE's 8130 10w30, which is a synblend using the best of both breeds of lubricant, both GII (mid-continent paraffinics) and GIV PAO's. They have a unique additive package that I think is very leading edge, and it performs better than many pure synoils.

Do your reading when you are rested, pick an oil, and stick with it is my recommendation. Switching from brand to brand is not a best practice.

The new GF-4 API standards will be very tough, so expect to see either some new formulations, or the reduction in choices - it may be that synblends will be the only way to meet those standards, and that more GIII products will call themselves synoils. The trend toward thinner and thinner oils will continue, and I predict we will see a new oil "weight" scale, since a -10w15 would no doubt cause mass confusion. They should go to a simple one or two character system. If the mfr specifies a super thin -10w15, that might be called an A1. A 10w30 might be called an A2, and a 20w50 a B3. A would be for energy conserving oils, and the number could be the vis.