S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Motor mounts & clutch replacement

Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MAVTS2k
As an update, I replaced my passenger side motor mount today. Fairly easy job. I was surprised to find that the mount had completely separated into two pieces when I pulled it out. Clearly it needed to be replaced.

I am not sure I notice a decrease in vibration with the new mount. If there is any improvement it seems to be quite subtle. I find this strange given the condition of the mount I removed. I bought an OEM mount and it was almost $200. Not sure I will bother doing the drivers side as I did not see any cracks or leaking on that mount and the one new mount didn't seem to make a noticable difference anyway.

At least I know I replaced a failed part.
You were there... why didn't you just do both mounts?
Old 10-20-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
You were there... why didn't you just do both mounts?
Because they are expensive and I wanted to see if the new passenger side mount would make a noticable difference first.

That being said, I was under the car again today and was able to determine that the driver's side mount is also bad. I will be ordering another mount today. This one only showed that it was cracked when I jacked up the engine and the mount rubber decompressed a bit, revealing a crack. To do this check I loosened the two 17mm nuts on each mount first so that jacking the engine would not rip the mount apart.

Had I been paying closer attention I would have noticed this when replacing the passengers side mount yesterday. Oh well.

Last edited by MAVTS2k; 10-20-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I replaced my driver's side mount this morning. Now both sides are new. The vibration when taking off in first gear is now gone (the reason I started this thread). I also notice that when starting and shutting off the car there are less vibrations. Overall feel may be a tad smoother but it's hard to tell if it's in my head. I am happy with the outcome even though the mounts were quite expensive.

I found replacement to be very easy. All the bolts are pretty easy to access. I have an 18V ratchet which helped get the bracket bolts in and out much more quickly than could be done by hand in the tight space.

I guess my main takeaway is that I would encourage anyone with an older or higher mileage car to replace your motor mounts. There were really no dead giveaways that they had failed and even when looking at them in the car it is quite tricky to tell whether or not they are bad. Prying on the motor as other threads suggest did not give me any indication.