S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Motor mounts & clutch replacement

Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Motor mounts & clutch replacement

Recently had my clutch done in my AP1 (all OEM parts) and have since noticed a very (and i stress very) slight vibration when releasing the clutch from a stop, in first gear....the vibration seems to appear if I am quicker on the release (rather than really slowly feathering it out), and is limited to just 2 or 3 "pulses". I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the motor mounts, which are stock 20 year old mounts with 150k miles, might have met their demise during the clutch replacement process, which involves lowering the subframe. Does this seem plausible? Just want to get some thoughts before I go through the trouble of removing and replacing the mounts.

I have attempted to pry on the motor to check the mounts and everything feels good without excess movement, but I have read in other places on the forums that this isn't always a reliable indicator? I am just thinking that maybe the "grabbiness" of the new clutch combined with slightly weakened motor mounts might be causing the engine to vibrate slightly when torque is applied in first gear.

I feel the vibration mostly in the seat, so directionally it is very hard to tell where it is coming from.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Yeah, could be mounts. But if done by the book lowering subframe (and not by tilting motor) there is little stresson the mounts.

Lots of stuff is unbolted and reattached doing a clutch job. Perhaps something is loose or not reattached properly.

For instance, the header S bracket. It can easily be installed backwards, and will cause nasty noise and vibes.

Even if its not this bracket, it could be something else similar.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

OP, I pulled mine out at ~135,000 miles:

The shiny black one on the bottom is a new OEM replacement. Not the tear/rip on my old mount.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
OP, I pulled mine out at ~135,000 miles:

The shiny black one on the bottom is a new OEM replacement. Not the tear/rip on my old mount.
Wow that pic is super helpful. Thank you. Most of the time when you see old mounts for this car the top and bottom halves are completely separated. It is helpful to see that they can fail yet still remain intact.

What were your symptoms prior to replacement? Did you notice any unusual vibrations? I will have to dig deeper to see if mine are in similar condition.

Last edited by MAVTS2k; 10-11-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by MAVTS2k
Wow that pic is super helpful. Thank you. Most of the time when you see old mounts for this car the top and bottom halves are completely separated. It is helpful to see that they can fail yet still remain intact.

What were your symptoms prior to replacement? Did you notice any unusual vibrations? I will have to dig deeper to see if mine are in similar condition.
I had nearly zero symptom honestly. I went noise/clunk hunting and I figured at ~140,000 miles, even if they weren't the source of the clunk, they were due.

I will tell you that now that I have brand new OEM mount in, my idle is Prius like, and my shifts are ever so slightly more precise and with better feedback.

Sorry, I know my lack of symptoms aren't all that helpful to you, but I am glad the old mounts are out.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Banned
Member (Premium)Vendor - Emerging
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 113 Posts

At 150,000 miles, the engine/transmission/differential mounts/suspension bushings/ball joints should all be checked.

OEM mounts I swapped out for Spoon ones(I have these in-stock), only 52,000 miles:
Old 10-12-2019, 07:26 AM

Quick update. I got under the car this morning and used a mirror to get a much better look at the mounts. I found that my passenger side mount was indeed cracked in the same spot as the other mounts shown in this thread. I also noticed evidence of some of the fluid leaking out although at first glance this was not evident to me before. The photos were extremely helpful in allowing me to spot the crack.

Drivers side mount looked fine but I will likely replace both given the age of the mounts.

I will update once done to confirm whether or not this solves my mysterious vibration issue. Crossing my fingers that it does!!!
Old 10-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by MAVTS2k
Quick update. I got under the car this morning and used a mirror to get a much better look at the mounts. I found that my passenger side mount was indeed cracked in the same spot as the other mounts shown in this thread. I also noticed evidence of some of the fluid leaking out although at first glance this was not evident to me before. The photos were extremely helpful in allowing me to spot the crack.

Drivers side mount looked fine but I will likely replace both given the age of the mounts.

I will update once done to confirm whether or not this solves my mysterious vibration issue. Crossing my fingers that it does!!!
I would just do both while you're at it. Also, I've replaced motor mounts before on other cars, but I was a failure with the S2000. Once I got the mounts off, the engine was misaligned to the point where I didn't have tools or the extra body to keep the engine in place to bolt up the new mounts.

Long story short, I had to tow my car into my trusted mechanic and they finished the job in like... 10minutes -.-

But tons of people have been able to install the mounts themselves as a DIY, I'm not sure I ran into issues, so don't let me scare you... Haha
Old 10-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

No need to drop subframe just support under sump with a block of wood and jack engine up a little,one at a time.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:57 PM

As an update, I replaced my passenger side motor mount today. Fairly easy job. I was surprised to find that the mount had completely separated into two pieces when I pulled it out. Clearly it needed to be replaced.

I am not sure I notice a decrease in vibration with the new mount. If there is any improvement it seems to be quite subtle. I find this strange given the condition of the mount I removed. I bought an OEM mount and it was almost $200. Not sure I will bother doing the drivers side as I did not see any cracks or leaking on that mount and the one new mount didn't seem to make a noticable difference anyway.

At least I know I replaced a failed part.

Quick Reply: Motor mounts & clutch replacement