S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Most stable shocks for bumpy backroads

Old 04-04-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most stable shocks for bumpy backroads

I just finished replacing my clutch the other day, and now the next thing on my list is shocks and tires. For tires I'm pretty set on the RE-11a's up front and then I'm reusing my ventus rs3's on the rear since they're still good (have Blizzaks now) but for shocks I'm undecided. I don't know much about suspension and things of that sort so I'm leaning towards Oem shocks since I trust honda, but what are my options? Again I'm looking for extreme stability on back roads rather than upgraded handling capability. Also will a set of lowering springs help at all with feeling planted? Thanks, any and all input is appreciated.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by dillonkennedy003
I just finished replacing my clutch the other day, and now the next thing on my list is shocks and tires. For tires I'm pretty set on the RE-11a's up front and then I'm reusing my ventus rs3's on the rear since they're still good (have Blizzaks now) but for shocks I'm undecided. I don't know much about suspension and things of that sort so I'm leaning towards Oem shocks since I trust honda, but what are my options? Again I'm looking for extreme stability on back roads rather than upgraded handling capability. Also will a set of lowering springs help at all with feeling planted? Thanks, any and all input is appreciated.
After many years of saying I didn't want coilovers and I didn't want a lowered ride I took the plunge. I put on some Bilstein PSS and the stability of the vehicle is tremendously improved, ride is lowered .75-1.0 inches approx. Less body roll, and less weight transfer from front to rear (dive and squat on braking and acceleration and shifting gears). Ride quality is superb. As good as Honda parts are on this car, the Bilsteins blow them away, at a cost of course.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
After many years of saying I didn't want coilovers and I didn't want a lowered ride I took the plunge. I put on some Bilstein PSS and the stability of the vehicle is tremendously improved, ride is lowered .75-1.0 inches approx. Less body roll, and less weight transfer from front to rear (dive and squat on braking and acceleration and shifting gears). Ride quality is superb. As good as Honda parts are on this car, the Bilsteins blow them away, at a cost of course.
I had the PSS kit on my AP1 and loved it. Just the right amount of drop right out of the box and dampening was spot on for being sporty but still live able everyday.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I love driving on my kwv3, great performance and super comfortable ride.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

To eliminate the bumpy feel of the oem suspension tune, I would try increasing the rebound a little. Koni shocks are a cheap way to achomplish this. Or if you have the money a great coil over like ohlins kW or even pss will work.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

Most of my 114k miles are on back roads, that's why we bought the car. On my '06 the tires I use help alot, I went the other direction(up) as in 235/45-17 DW up front with 245/45-17 DW out back. The taller tires helps out quit a bit to soak up the bumps. I run 29 psi(F) and 30 psi(Rear). Car does not push near as bad with the larger tires, I have around 80k miles on this size tire.

ROD
Old 04-05-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really sure what you're definition of a "back road" is but I'm going to assume it's an infrequently traveled and poorly maintained road. If you lower your car you will eventually scrape hard parts driving on roads like that. My car does and it's got stiff springs and not even as low as some others. If the roads are smooth, you'll be happy though.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By backroads I mean real twisty roads with fluctuations in the road (meaning not very level). Not necessarily poorly maintained, but can be from time to time. I just would like a lot of confidence going around corners that I am not getting from the combination of Blizzaks and stock suspension. There is an on ramp for i95 that I have to drive on every day that is extremely bad and bumpy. There's these flaws in the road that can only be described as mini speed bumps maybe .5" to 1" tall that go all the way across the on ramp and every time I try to take the turn at any kind of speed the car loses traction for about a split second and the car goes tangential to the curvature of the on ramp for a split second as well and makes the car feel extremely unstable. Anyways does anyone have the buddy club n+ coilovers? If so how are they?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Those are some of the worst aftermarket shocks you can purchase
Old 04-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What you are describing would be greatly diminished by changing the damper tune. Usually a reduction in high speed compression or what is called digressive damping helps. Also an increase in rebound may help. Going too far in any direction with these settings will create other problems. Shock tuning for anything is about balance and compromise. Almost always quality valving comes from shocks that have been tuned and designed in Europe or the US. Japan makes quality dampers, but their tuning is too linear IMO. There are tons of cheap, no name coilovers out there for your S2k. These are all junk IMO. Getting these would be a step down from your stock shocks.