S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Morning hesitation and stall MY04

Old 12-14-2004, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by webguy330i,Dec 14 2004, 05:25 PM
Take it to the dealer man, even if it is a bit of a drive.
Yeah, but it's not giving me a CEL, which means it's not throwing a code, which means I'm going to drive an hour to the dealer for them to tell me, "Sorry, we can't replicate the problem and can't find anything wrong with it.". I know service departments. I've been through it before and I honestly don't have the time to waste right now. If the service department was open on Saturday, I'd bring it in, but it's not. I'll give it a few more days and then I may have to try to get out there.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you can leave the car at the dealers overnight so they can do a cold start, you will get no joy. It's a pity that such a new car would have this problem, but mine did the same thing when I first brought it home. It was maybe a couple weeks old. Like I said, every year at the same time for the first 3 years, it would do it. Each time, it would learn after a few days with no help from me.

As an interesting side note: I have a block heater. Just for experimental purposes, when the car was starting to do this, I would plug it in that next night and the morning after that, it would start just like normal - no stall, no problems, perfectly fine. The next night, I'd not plug it in and sure enough, it did it again - start, run for a couple seconds and die. On the second start, all was fine. It would seem that having the coolant temp warm to begin with prevents the ECU from having this well known "brain fart". Since the temps were not that low, I didn't continue to keep the car plugged in repeatedly, so I can't tell you if it would have "learned" on its own had I continued through the usually time period of stalling events.
You can try something else: In the morning, key the ignition ON but do not push the starter, after the fuel pump has finished it initial cycling, key it OFF and then key it back ON again. Let the pump cycle again, then try the starter and see if this helps. This gets the fuel system pressurized up BEFORE you crank and may help the starting better on the first go.

Additionally, since Honda has come out with a new "fix" for the MAP, you might consider securing the MAP as Honda did using a zip tie and see if this helps. As temps drop, I can see where there is a small possibility that electrical contacts may shift and it is considered that the MAP contact is a poor one. This is only a guess and may have nothing to do with this particular situation.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xviper,

It sounds like you had the same exact thing I have, except I have near 14,000 miles. However, the car has never really felt "cold" since I've had it. I got it in Atlanta last January and brought it to south Georgia. Then I went to Mississippi 2 months later. Overnight lows really didn't drop much below 40 degrees there until a few weeks ago. I moved to Southwest OK a week ago and overnight lows have been in the mid to high 20's. There was frost all over my windshield this morning. So I think the car is going through a little bit of "shell shock". I will also check out the MAP sensor, but I would think it would throw a code if the sensor was out of whack, so to speak. Stay tuned....
Old 12-14-2004, 09:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Dec 14 2004, 11:02 PM
but I would think it would throw a code if the sensor was out of whack, so to speak. Stay tuned....
I'm afraid that no CEL has ever occured as a result of this MAP issue as Honda now considers it to be an issue with intermittent harness contact problems. This has manifested itself in terms of stumbling idle, hesitation while accelerating and other symptoms without ever throwing a light. Honda is now on top of this and will not be expecting a CEL to appear.