S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

More photos of the damage inside my tranny

Old 12-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More photos of the damage inside my tranny

Thought some of you might be interested in a few photos of the problems found when my tranny was taken apart for repairs.

That's a chip on one of the mainshift gears the finger is pointing to. Someone please tell me how that got there!

Here's a close up of the chip. The shot is blurry, but you can still see the chip quite clearly

The collar of this gear is burned:

This synchro is burned, but has no wear:

I'm hoping suzukatim will see this post and comment on the problems, since he found them.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intresting pics. Thanks!

I can't see what is going on in the second picture. It's not so good.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SocratesDTC,

If you look carefully where the finger is pointing, you'll see that a large piece has broken off one of the gear teeth.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:40 PM

Rick,

Since you've seen the inside of the tranny, do you feel that the synchro's can be replaced independent of the gears?

Honda only sells complete gearsets and I'm trying to find a way to replace only the synchros.

What do you think?

David
Old 12-07-2003, 10:11 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

interesting...those japanese people must be overworked.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I've seen a few screwed up honda tranny's, Big chips out of the gears are usually caused by foreign objects between the gears, such as bearing races. Rick was there any damaged bearings in the trans?
As far as the burned synchro, Those that I've seen have usually been caused by someone shifting with the clutch half engauged.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the gear cracktested. You may be lucky you opened it up now as the teeth may be ready to let go.

Otherwise, it may just be from an inclusion or fault in the material. I have seen this on Toyota boxes where the very edge of the gears flake off. I normally just crack test it and dremel or diamond file the burrs off the edges.

Speedracer.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:43 PM

Hello everyone. I performed the work on Rick's gear box and what I found was that the distance collar on the lower end of the countershaft was actually machined down onto the gear set causing a tooth contact problem all across the lower end of the Countershaft and Mainshaft. This caused excessive tooth lash and proceded to burn into the fifth gear collar (third picture). That kind of wear should have been on the brass collar which is pictured fourth, but as you can see that brass friction ring is untouched. So basicaly one thing lead to another and caused a whole load of downtime waiting for parts. I would replace one part, only to find something else was damaged or not matting up correctly. Arrrg. Well it's all together now and back in the car. On the lift the car shifted smoother than silk ( till it ran out of GAS!!!! cough, cough ) Since we have had less than desirable weather I have yet to take it out on the road. That will of course be the true test.

BTW: Honda's parts catolog will only let you buy complete gear/syncro sets becouse these are items that are designed to wear together. It would be like replacing front brake pads on just one side of the car
Old 12-08-2003, 06:45 PM

Also the countershaft and all but two case bearings were replaced. Bearings checked OK, but I figured I would replace them while it was out.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The distance collar between 4th and 5th is on the mainshaft, was the collar on main or countershaft?

Quick Reply: More photos of the damage inside my tranny