S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

More HP, What I Need, does this work?>

Old 10-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking More HP, What I Need, does this work?>

I Just got back from tail of the dragon. Awesome trip and will do it about twice a year. I would like a little more power though.

Would it help if I did this.

Stage 2 cams shafts with upgraded springs and retainers, retainers would not be TI -
Intake short ram or cold, unsure
Exhaust

----

Would there be anything I would need to get? Tuning software, any piggy back system new fuel pump??

I would like to get about 25 HP - and 8-18 ft-lbs of tq.

Any suggestions to this would be great

Any experiences with bad camshafts, or should I/shouldn't I get camshafts etc, thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

With the S2000 adding 25 horsepower while staying naturally aspirated is not possible for most owners.
Very expensive to add 5 or 10 rwhp.
Cams have a history of not helping with the S2000.
Most changes or mods you can get big improvements with on other cars do little or actually decrease output with the S2000.

Nitrous is the only cheap (and it is not cheap) fix for power.
Five to eight thousand dollars will give you a little boost and the 25 rwhp you desire. Naturally aspirated you can't see 25 horsepower for $10,000.
Sorry
Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

get a cheap used turbo kit and set it to no more than 5-6 psi. that should be enough to give you around 250-300 whp. but not much to damage the engine or increase the wear and tear. thats my plan for the future.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go boost or go home.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM

I honestly would not like to go boost. N/A will be better for longevity, and I am planning no adding a new 3In Rad, and a oil cooler to the motor. I want to run at consistent temps and keep the car in check.

- I guess 25 WHP would be a lot, but I will do some research with cams and a tune, I bet 25 HP can be achieved and I want to do this.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k,Oct 11 2010, 07:07 PM
I honestly would not like to go boost. N/A will be better for longevity, and I am planning no adding a new 3In Rad, and a oil cooler to the motor. I want to run at consistent temps and keep the car in check.

- I guess 25 WHP would be a lot, but I will do some research with cams and a tune, I bet 25 HP can be achieved and I want to do this.
If you look up my Apexi neo thread iv posted After my tune i gained around 24 hp and 11 tq. The thread has pics and dyno before and after with all my settings posted aswell.

New apexi neo... 400
install and tune... i think it was 180..
Wideband A/F guage ( AEM ) 200

You can pick up a used neo for about 250 and save some cash but dont skimp on the tune..

There is there power your looking for. Also you can tune the neo to only ingauge between whatever rpm you want it to.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k,Oct 11 2010, 08:07 PM

The car is well engineered from Honda and any changes you make will just cheapen the car and probably decrease performance. Some owners have booster for more than 100,000 miles including track time on the same engine.

I'll take that bet on 25 horsepower. I doubt you can get 10.

I spent four years gaining horsepower and had one of the highest hp NA cars around. It was 242/165 on a high reading dyno. Gained 20 horsepower over stock with about 10-15 grand worth of goodies and changes. Toda headers, cat back, head work, larger throttle body, Mugen ECU, and a whole lot more.

It was not enough and it certainly was too expensive for what it was.

Enter boost and hello horsepower.

Might I suggest instead of throwing your money away on borderline worthless parts that you take the money instead and attend some high performance drivers education classes. It's a hoot.

Please excuse me for repeating myself. Cams will not do anything for you.
Adjusting the factory cams might help a little but aftermarket cams have a very bad track record. Several owners have lunched engines with badly designed cams. These being from name manufacturers and still owners had to foot the bill for a new engine. Most of the rest have shown losses or minimal gains with large investments in valve train and tuning.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways,Oct 11 2010, 08:05 PM
The car is well engineered from Honda and any changes you make will just cheapen the car and probably decrease performance. Some owners have booster for more than 100,000 miles including track time on the same engine.

I'll take that bet on 25 horsepower. I doubt you can get 10.

I spent four years gaining horsepower and had one of the highest hp NA cars around. It was 242/165 on a high reading dyno. Gained 20 horsepower over stock with about 10-15 grand worth of goodies and changes. Toda headers, cat back, head work, larger throttle body, Mugen ECU, and a whole lot more.

It was not enough and it certainly was too expensive for what it was.

Enter boost and hello horsepower.

Might I suggest instead of throwing your money away on borderline worthless parts that you take the money instead and attend some high performance drivers education classes. It's a hoot.

Please excuse me for repeating myself. Cams will not do anything for you.
Adjusting the factory cams might help a little but aftermarket cams have a very bad track record. Several owners have lunched engines with badly designed cams. These being from name manufacturers and still owners had to foot the bill for a new engine. Most of the rest have shown losses or minimal gains with large investments in valve train and tuning.
I see. This is why I posted so i could get the truth of products and how much, or how little they can gain. the post above got him 24 hp I see? I wonder if he has any other upgrades for that neo?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Sideways is spot on. Just hold off doing anything until you can grab some kind of supercharger. Less intrusive and more reliable that cams, head work, turbo...
For what you want to do with the car, a SC is your best option. Hands down.
I have just about 70,000 supercharged miles with two cross country runs on my car. ...
Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO a Vortech SC is the way to go,

i was torn between InlinePRO stage 1 or Vortech V3
ended up getting the IP kit cuz hopefully i'll build my engine in the future (not near)

figure out what's your goal before deciding anything

Quick Reply: More HP, What I Need, does this work?>