S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mods Without Violating My Warranty

Old 06-09-2003, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods Without Violating My Warranty

I was wondering about what kind of mods i could get to enhance engines performance without violating all or most of my warranty...i mean are there really any? HELP AND SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED>
Old 06-09-2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by MrWizard
I was wondering about what kind of mods i could get to enhance engines performance without violating all or most of my warranty...i mean are there really any? HELP AND SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED>
uhh...exhaust?

Tuner
Old 06-09-2003, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

performance as engine performance or all around car performance? With out violating any warranty is very hard to do. You can change all of the oils in the car.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 PM

I mean like if i did lets says, pulleys and intake what would that do? I'm asking like what basic upgrades would do to my warranty? And what upgrades you guys would suggest?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it really depends on your dealer, if your dealer is really anal about it, either dont buy the ext. warranty, or simply keep your car stock
Old 06-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think a dealer must prove that an aftermarket part caused a failure if they are to deny warranty. Basically, if you upgrade your suspension, then your starter quits working, they will have to cover it. However, if your suspension ball joints fail, they won't. The problem with mods that increase power output is that an asswhole dealer can easily blame a differential failure on the additional power.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:27 PM

I live by a simple rule of thumb... I don't start tinkering with my toys until the warranty is up... otherwise, bank on the fact that Honda of NA (your local dealership) will use every angle to shun responsibility for warranty work every chance they get... count on it... they're in business to make a nickel, but to also save one... even at the expense of alienating a consumer or 10...
Old 06-10-2003, 01:46 PM

wrong. your local dealership MAKES money from Honda doing warranty work, its not something they want to avoid. its your job to cultivate a good relationship with your dealership service dept. to get stuff done. if you are nice and non demanding, and throw in occasional non-warranty maintanence, a good dealership will be your advocate or let slide any mods you have that doesn't require them to return part to honda for inspection or require regional service guy to approve or anything that can get them in hot water. AHM pays the dealership for the warranty work done!

you also need to help service writer describe problem in exact words, often citing any TSB's to not set off alarms to regional.

get to know the best tech's...and stay with that team and they will help you. Only dealerships that are stupid, or employees who don't know jack would ever turn away warranty work.

small bribes helped also
Old 06-11-2003, 06:53 AM

wrong. your local dealership MAKES money from Honda doing warranty work, its not something they want to avoid. its your job to cultivate a good relationship with your dealership service dept. to get stuff done. if you are nice and non demanding, and throw in occasional non-warranty maintanence, a good dealership will be your advocate or let slide any mods you have that doesn't require them to return part to honda for inspection or require regional service guy to approve or anything that can get them in hot water. AHM pays the dealership for the warranty work done!
you also need to help service writer describe problem in exact words, often citing any TSB's to not set off alarms to regional.
man you are way off... while every dealer gets "paid" for necessary warranty work (and many times, not in money... I can explain more... we have 3 friends that own dealerships...), their mission to get us in and out with as little work as possible when it comes to Honda dealerships... where do you live ??? at a minimum, don't you read the other threads on this site ??? We're not talking about Lexus or Mercedes dealerships here... it's Honda (and you can also group in Acura dealerships as well)... and while I love their cars, dealership service is so unbelievably miserable, they should win awards... talk to other Honda owners, collect your own information... I can tell you about my 5 trips to 3 Honda dealerships to get some basic warranty work done.... I can also tell you about my Acura experiences... what you are spouting is pure theory and wishful thinking for Honda dealerships... don't mislead others and ask them to follow your leap of faith... being pragmatic and more conservative is probably a better approach for the threadstarter...

the kicker is this: Honda makes cars so well that stupid people like myself are inclined to go back to buy their products year after year...
Old 06-11-2003, 10:53 AM

i've had clutch done and cat converter all done under warranty, and had lightflywheel and 4 puck clutch and test pipe substituted under this "warranty work" all while having a supercharger and other mods which i freely demonstrated to everyone at the dealership. i have brand new cat that i can replace when i need to smog and new OEM clutch that i have since used and destroyed. i've had 3 lamda(O2) sensors replaced under warranty. all these could of been denied(and are related to supercharger) but i cultivated a good repoire and got it done. They went to bat for me cause i'm cool and was patient...and i tip well.

They look for warranty work, if the service writer doesn't write enough they get let go. Right before my warranty expired for miles, my new service writer looked over car to find anything to do and offered to replace my rear window plastic....yes i had it done for free at 35,000 miles....at their suggstion...i didn't even care!!!!

you'll all be worm food sooner or later, not modifying your car when you want to because of warranty fears is not a manly way to live..........MOD NOW!!!!!!or forever be a pussy!

Quick Reply: Mods Without Violating My Warranty